Thursday, April 19, 2018

"Why Is Straight The Default?" by Aaron Oswald


 
"WHY IS STRAIGHT THE DEFAULT?"
(inspired by the movie "Love, Simon")
BY AARON OSWALD


     Civic Engagement is any type of community service or volunteer work that impacts the greater good within a community of people. This could be working with a homeless shelter, playing music for the elderly at a retirement home, planting a community garden, participating in social movements, supporting (and advocating) LGBTQ inclusiveness in society, and many other activities that can make a positive difference on people in your community. Civic engagement involves being aware of the issues in one's community and being willing to help efforts to change these issues. I have decided to use the LGBTQ community as the framework for my project. The main topic for this project is LGBTQ stereotypes and the ways people overcome them.

     In the article, “Composing Out” by Judy Antebi and Avi Gilboa, the authors describe how musical compositions can assist in the coming out process of young LGBTQ identities. They interviewed eight young composers of varying sexual preferences, to describe the coming out process from a composers point of view. Results showed that these individuals used music as a way of expression in a more covert manner to test the reaction of their audience, which in most cases were the composers’ family. Proving that music and composition allow for individuals to express themselves and assist them in situations like this. 
     
     In the article “LGBTQ+ Young Adults on the Street and on Campus”, the authors describe the unique experiences of young adults who identify as LGBTQ.  The article featured a study involving 46 young adult LGBTQ individuals, some were students and others were homeless youth. Most college students explained that their educational experience helps them in breaking the typical gender and sexuality norms. They find that the college environment helps them develop their individual identities. On the contrary, the homeless young adults find more cultural barriers and stigmas that impose these normative gender and sexuality beliefs. 

Resources:

Antebi, Judy, and Avi Gilboa. “‘Composing out’: How Gay and Lesbian Musicians Use Composing in Their Lives.” Nordic Journal of Music Therapy, vol. 25, no. sup1, 2016, pp. 8–9.

Schmitz, Rachel M., and Kimberly A. Tyler. “LGBTQ Young Adults on the Street and on Campus: Identity as a Product of Social Context.” Journal of Homosexuality, vol. 65, no. 2, Dec. 2017, pp. 197–223., doi:10.1080/00918369.2017.1314162


      This topic is important to me because I identify as part of the LGBTQ community, I will be discussing this later in my blog. But first, I would like to give a bit of a backstory of myself.  I am a singer-songwriter who was born and raised in LA and had the opportunity to attend the LA County High School for the Arts (LACHSA), which happens to be on the CSULA campus. I have been on this campus for 8 years now, and this is finally my last semester. Prior to attending high school, I attended a sports-driven Catholic middle school. Since I was the only kid who didn’t play sports, I was always judged for being different. All of that changed after attending LACHSA. I was fortunate enough to have gone to a very inclusive and eccentric high school. The following individuals are some of my friends that I made while in high school. They are all either supporters or members of the LGBTQ community. Stereotypes should not define a person and should not be what others base their judgement on. I feel it is important to discuss this. 

**All of the photos were taken/edited by me and posted with permission**


Aaron (myself) 
Closeted Bisexual

I have been out to all of my friends since my senior year of high school (2013) but have yet to tell my parents (and other family members) that I am attracted to both men and women. As a musician, I get nervous of how the public might perceive me, but realize that in order to produce my best compositions I must be honest with myself. The main reason I have difficulty coming out to my parents is because I feel they believe in many of the common LGBTQ stereotypes.



Melissa
(Pansexual)
This is my best friend Melissa, but we just call her Mel. We have been friends for close to eight years, and she's always super supportive of me and I'm grateful to have her in her life. She is a cat person and a peace-lover. Mel considers herself pansexual and his been in a four-year relationship with her boyfriend, Michael.



Brianna
(Bisexual)
This is Brianna, I have known her since my freshman year of High School. She is a very talented musician and artist. A couple of months ago, Brianna came out to our friend group as Bisexual. She is currently engaged to her boyfriend of six years. 


Chris 
(Pansexual)
This is Chris, he was one of my first friends in High School. He is one of the most interesting characters in my friend group. He is also the most open person in our group. Chris is gender-fluid and pansexual. 


Justus
(Straight Ally)
This is Justus, he is an aspiring lighting designer and is currently on tour with a few bands. We've been friends for many years and he was one of the first people I came out to as Bi. Justus is straight but he is a very supportive person of LGBTQ rights.


Mark & Silvia
(Straight Allies)

This is Mark and Silvia, they are a beautiful and supportive couple. I have known Mark since my sophomore year of High School. He and Silvia have been together for a couple of years now, and she's definitely become part of the group. I'm glad to see a heterosexual couple being so supportive of their friends. 


---------------------------

LGBTQ stereotypes are prevalent in American society. It is up to us as individuals to advocate for equality and love. I am grateful to have collaborated on this project with my high school friends. I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who participated.

- Aaron


No comments:

Post a Comment