Tuesday, April 24, 2018

The Importance of Art Program funding




Art Programs







Art programs have always been super important in my life. In my school career I always found myself drifting to the creative side of school rather than the standard subjects. Art programs have kept me on track in school as well. My mom was always strict on getting good grades and would tell me if I did not get good grades I could not participate in my extra curricular activities which was theater because of this I always made sure to always have the best grades possible, art motivated me to be a better student. Art programs were also always the place were I was able to distress, be myself and meet new people. I can easily say that art programs really made me more responsible, sociable, and a better leader. I am not the only case in which art helped a student it is proven that arts benefit students. School art programs made me excited for school, they made me want to actually be there and I feel like it is important to widen a students choice in hobbies allowing them to maybe find a passion within the arts just like I did.


The Issue
Art programs in schools are often seen as a waste of time and money. The arts are often pushed aside falling in the shadows of athletic and STEM programs. Do not get me wrong these programs are also very important but, what about the arts? Art funds are always the first to be chopped up when schools face budget cuts especially in public schools and are most of the times the last to be thought of when schools find a few extra funds to spend. Art programs are crucial in the lives of students in all communities especially lower income communities like the one I grew up in. It is important for people to acknowledge the importance of the arts and help get together to convince school officials to increase funding for programs. 

Benefits Of The Arts

Social Skills
The arts are beneficial for students to develop healthy social skills. School is a place of learning however everyday social skills are not really taught in basic classes, in the arts kids learn how to expand their comfort zones while doing it in an interesting fashion. Students often have to interact with many other students in order to perform or create a work of art. According to Edward Kapp “collaborative student projects can be effective in improving student learning” I myself was a theater crew member and I soon went from being a shy high school freshman to meeting hundreds of new students because of the arts. Arts help students get out of their comfort zones at a pace they have control over.

Improves Grades and Learning capabilities

Whole Brain Learning: The Fine Arts with Students at Risk “According to research posited by neuroscientist Marian Diamond at Berkeley, the human brain can change structurally and functionally as a result of learning and experiencing, whether for better or for worse. She further suggested that as the brain is challenged with learning opportunities, the brain generates new neural connections and pathways, which make it possible to assimilate information in order to make meaningful life choices.” This meaning students involved with the arts can help enhance their educational performance. The arts help students get creative with their typical school work making it more interesting leading to them producing better work.






“In my experience taking an art class in college was doing something out of the ordinary for me I actually enjoyed it and learned a lot from it, it made me regret not being more involved in art programs in high school.”
- A. Marmolejo






“Art is absolutely necessary in public schools. The process and opportunities of expressing yourself is an amazing experience that brings people together."
- A. Blanco





“Art is a way to express yourself, so if there is no art there is no meaning to life.”
- G. Diezmo

What Can You do to help?
  • Support organizations that promote art such as Beyond the Bell, Inner City Arts, and any community school program.
  • Spread Awareness of the importance of the arts.
  • Get involved with local schools to help make art programs more accessible to students.
  • Talk to school officials and express your opinions.
  • Last but not least be active in the community and expand your knowledge.


References
Respress, Trinetia; Lutfi, Ghazwan, (2006) Whole brain learning: The fine arts with students at risk. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/214192698?pq-origsite=gscholar

Kapp, E. (2009). Improving Student Teamwork in a Collaborative Project-Based Course. College Teaching, 57(3), 139-143.\ http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3200/CTCH.57.3.139-143








No comments:

Post a Comment