Friday, April 20, 2018

Health and Fitness - Johnson Huynh

 Health and Fitness 

by Johnson Huynh 









Introduction

One major social issue that I noticed in my community is the lack of promoting health and fitness. There are plenty of problems that lean towards the depreciation of people's health and I see little to no action to fix it. As fast food businesses grow spreading people's path to an unhealthy lifestyle and little to no promotion in my community of living a healthier path, I do not see anything that will help my community other than helping themselves.








Action
My action to fight this path of an unhealthy lifestyle in my community is to inform people about how making a healthy lifestyle can benefit their well-being, physical health, mental health, and create a positive mindset on their life. This will hopefully convince others to see the light on their perspective of health and fitness as well as helping themselves by building their positivity and opinions on how living a healthier lifestyle has helped themselves. Ultimately, my goal of spreading the word of living a healthier path will change the community for the better!





Research
The percentage rate of obesity has increased throughout the past decade. Studies of obesity rates of Adults in the United States have shown that between 2007/2008 to 2015/2016 5.7 percent of were severely obese and 33.7 were obese. Moreover, the probable reason for this increase is because of fast food sales increasing 22.7 percent from 2012 to 2017, as well as packaged food sales increasing 8.8 percent. This occurrence of the increase in unhealthy food sales being parallel with the increase of obesity rates is really eye opening because it shows how americans live an unhealthy lifestyle and how that trend is growing through it being affordable. In LA, the childhood obesity rates  are very high around our Los Angeles area, especially in the San Gabriel Valley, and Central/South LA. These rates have increased significantly as years go by because of the increasing trend on consuming unhealthy foods. These astonishing statistics really need to change because if these numbers do not decrease, then the health and wellbeing of others will also be in jeopardy.




References

1) Garcia, Robert. “Race and Place Do Matter: Economic Hardship, Obesity, and Equal Justice.” KCET, 1 Jan. 2017, www.kcet.org/history-society/race-and-place-do-matter-economic-hardship-obesity-and-equal-justice.

2) Richtel, Matt, and Andrew Jacobs. “American Adults Just Keep Getting Fatter.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 23 Mar. 2018, www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/health/obesity-us-adults.html.




Personal

The reason why I chose this issue to write about was because back in high school, I was very overweight and all I ate was fried foods and junk food. It was rough to get through P.E. classes and I was part of that group where you were in the back of the track. Throughout my early to late teens, I kept on increasing my weight to where I was just being depressed and lazy with my aspirations in life. When I graduated High School, I had no motivation to do anything in Cal State LA. That is however until I met one of my best friends who helped my pave my path to a healthier lifestyle. In my first two weeks of working out with him, I lost 10 pounds from 180 to 170. From then on, I kept on going to the gym as well as consuming healthier foods to this day. Yes, I will have those cheat days but I always make up for it by working out more throughout my week. I have lost plenty of body fat and gained muscle from weight lifting. Ever since I started working out, I have became more self motivated, it built my confidence, it gave me a better perspective on life, and I grew out of my depression. I am happy on where I am today but I know there is always room for improvement. Hopefully my story will give you an idea on how you can have a better perspective on living a healthier lifestyle as well.





Interviews

I asked people in my who community on why Health and Fitness is important to them!



                I just feel generally better. That in turn will increase my confidence. When I work out your endorphin levels are elevated which creates a natural high and improves my mood. As a plus I'll look better which will naturally increase the attention I receive and if that weren't enough, clothes fit better and just look better on me. There really are no down sides to getting healthy. and fit. Just don't try to shortcut it and do a starvation diet. Weight loss is only healthy if it is done slowly and properly. Starvation lowers metabolism and takes off pounds by burning muscle instead of fat which does lower overall weight but it will make your skin flabby and all the fat will still be there. So when you eat normally again it all comes back plus some. So slowly but surely and good nutrition. 
- Ian Young




Being active is more than a choice, it's a lifestyle. We only have one body, one life to live, so you damn sure know I'mma take care of it. Looking good, feeling good, aesthetics. Losing weight, adding muscle, it's not just about the life you live, it's about the life you gain. 
-Eric Lee





Health and fitness and has greatly impacted my life. It has not only helped me de-stress myself, but has made me a better person, I am able to challenge myself everyday, and do things I never knew I was capable of achieving . It’s more than fitting into the stereotypes of what is “fit,” but more of how great you feel and the goals you are able to accomplish. The gym has become my happy place.
-Vanessa Ramirez




1 comment: