Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Animal Abuse

"Animal Abuse"

                                                                     

 Research

There are many different reasons why people abuse animals. Animal Abuse covers lack of action or covers a wide range of actions. 

  What is Animal Abuse? 

Active Cruelty
Implies malicious intent, where a person has deliberately and intentionally caused harm to an animal. As well in violent homes. Many times a parent or domestic partner who is abusive may kill, or threaten to kill, the household pets to intimidate family members into sexual abuse, to remain silent about previous or current abuse, or simply mentally torturing the the victims.
Passive Cruelty
Cruelty is typified by cases of neglect, where the crime is a lack of action. Starvation, dehydration, parasite infestations, allowing a collar to grow into an animal’s skin, lack of shelter in extreme weather conditions, and failure to seek veterinary care when an animal needs medical attention.

What types of animals are abused? 
  • Dogs 🐶
  • Livestock 🐖
  • Sea animals 🐬
  • Horses 🐴
  • Cats 🐱

Signs of Animal Abuse 
  • Poor body condition and noticeable trauma   
  • Lack of food and water
  •  Lack Of Shelter 
  • Lack of sanitation 
  • Abandoned 
  • The animal is tied or cage 



Personal Statement 

As a baby I was afraid of dogs until my parents got me my first dog Max, whom was the dog I grew up with till the age of twenty-one when he was put to sleep. Growing up I was always shocked to see animals on the streets, or seeing a dog running around with a string of cans. Especially seeing shows (Sea world) where animals were abused, and neglected. My dog Max was my like my child, and I always wondered. Why do people abuse their animals? Why get an animal if they are going to abuse them? I always thought of it as them abusing their own children, which I wouldn't be surprised if they hurt their own children or someone in their family. But overall, if I see an animal on the street who looks like they need a home. I would no doubt take them into my own home and give them the love they need. The reason I picked this topic was because I hate seeing animals being abused by their owners. Or hate seeing livestock animals being abused, and eventually killed. Even though I am a meat eater myself I try to distant myself from eating too much meat. 

Other Statements:


Whats your opinion on Animal  Abuse? 


Josefina B. 
"Animal abuse is something that has come to light in recent years. From the meat industry being exposed to it's cruel conditions of livestock, to Sea world, the circus and everything in between, it's a worldwide problem. Puppy and Kitty mills, illegal sales of exotic and wild animals, and the obsession with animal skin wardrobe, it's made me reconsider what I eat and what I wear. I've always been a meat lover but lately I've considered eating less meat because of the torture the animal I'm eating may have gone through. I have given up wearing makeup and beauty products in general that have been tested on animals. I would never buy fur or any other clothing items that have been made with animal skins. I can't say that I have given it all up, as I still eat meat, but slowly I am shunning what others believe is such a luxury and making a more conscious decisions on what I buy to make sure no animals were harmed."


 


Paula P.
"In this world, there are people who see animals as objects or toys but not as the beautiful and interesting creatures that they are. I feel that there should be a mutual respect between people and animals in that we should put ourselves their perspective. It’s wrong to impose pain, verbal and neglectful abuse because what if that animal was a person you loved. Instead of the pain, people should try to help animals instead of letting them die cold, alone and lonely in the streets. I think that we should try our best to help an animal in need whenever opportunity arises. For example, there are dogs and cats who are brought to shelters from being found abandoned or abused by their owner. Adopting is one way we can do our part to take in and bring happiness back to that animal. People who think that the animal doesn’t feel pain and starvation are wrong. God created animals for us to coexist in harmony with people in the balance of life."


Kelly L.
"I can't in my wildest dreams ever even start to image what a horrible person someone must be to even consider abusing an animal. Especially dogs, dogs are my best friends. They are loyal, they love you no matter what conditions you have.
Yet I have seen dogs dumped on the side of the road."





                                                                 References:

  Animal Cruelty Facts and Stats. (n.d.). Retrieved April 15, 2018, from 
http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/abuse_neglect/facts/animal_cruelty_facts_statistics.html

 Meenach, A., & Lopez, B. (2018, April 11). 11 signs of animal cruelty and how you can help. Retrieved April 15, 2018, from https://petsforpatriots.org/11-signs-of-animal-cruelty-and-how-you-can-help/

Animal Abuse. (n.d.). Retrieved April 15, 2018, from http://wildlife-rescue.org/services/advocacy/animal-abuse/

No comments:

Post a Comment