Thursday, April 19, 2018

Financial Aid Dismemberment: Araceli Caro



When it comes to beginning the process of applying to schools, the FAFSA is a part of that process. However, it can be a headache if, for whatever reason, the student's parents are not involved in their academic lives. If the student is under the age of 24, do not have dependents, or are not active/retired military,  they are dependent and must supply their parents information. According to Fastweb, " it doesn't matter how financially independent a student is; if they do not meet [the] requirements, they are not independent for financial aid purposes". This means that for the students who are living on their own and paying all their bills but are under 24, they are still considered a dependent.
The access to financial aid is so important that it can affect whether a student can attend the college they want, or even attend at all. According to the LA Times, "freshmen who indicated that education costs were a "very important" factor in their college choice reached a record high of 46% -- up nearly 15 percentage points since 2004." This number continues to increase as the price of college increases.









This topic is relevant to me because it is something I have to deal with every year. I have lived independently since I was 18 years old. However, when it comes to the FAFSA, I am still independent. This means that I had to pay out of pocket for the two years of community college because I was told there was nothing I could do.  I was constantly in the financial aid office asking about a special circumstances letter, or a dependency override, but I was told time and time again that since I was not 24, I was a dependent.
Finally, when I came to Cal State LA, I was told about the dependency override. However, this information was not willingly given. I was constantly in the office asking about options because I could not afford the full amount. Then I was told I needed an official letter backing up by dependency from a pastor or high school counselor. Issue being I do not attend church and have been out of high school for some time. Finally, I asked if a notarized letter would work. The counselor was reluctant to tell me, but she said it would work. Then, I had to wait a few weeks for the override to be approved. So while I do still have to pay a few hundred dollars every semester, it is significantly less than what I would have had to pay if I did not do the override.
I chose this topic because if I was not constantly bugging the financial aid office, I would not have been given this information. For whatever reason, this override is not information that is easily available. I have friends that had to drop out of college because they could not afford it. This was because, while they were supporting themselves, they were not 24 nor did they have any dependents. Therefore, they would have to put their parent's information on the FAFSA. However, some did not have that information, or their parents made too much. Unfortunately, financial aid is given out based on age, or parents information.






Zachary Coward
Age: 20
Student Status: Online Only
Interview:
When filling out the FAFSA did you file as independent or dependent? 
This is the first year I'm filling out the FAFSA because I have to put my mother's information and I didn't have that. So I would get the Board of Governors Waiver for community college, but now I'm going to a four year. 
If independent and under 24 what process did you go through to get that status?
I'm going through it right now actually. I have to go to the school and ask to apply for the dependency override. I will write a letter about why I can't provide my mother's information and what happened. Then I have to have someone who knows the situation also write a letter. It's like a month-long process. 
Do you live independently/ self-support?
Yup. I have for like 3 years now. It's grrrreeeeaaatt. 
Do you receive financial aid?
I don't know if I will. I'm hoping that there is still some left by the time I get the approval. If not, I have to defer for another year. 
If you don't, do you pay out of pocket for school or take out a loan?
If I don't get aid I cant afford to go. Simple as that. I already had to do another year of community college because I didn't even know this process was an option. 
Any comments about how financial aid dependency is determined?
Yeah, it [freaking] sucks. Its designed to fail the student. Who does it help to be thousands of dollars in debt? No one. It's stupid. 


Lenor Vaknin
Age: 21
Student Status: Discontinued school in 2015
Interview:
When filling out the FAFSA, do you file as independent or dependent?
Dependent
Do you live independently/ self-support?
I do.
Do you receive financial aid?
When I went to school I had to put my parents' information, but it didn't help me. They made too much according to the FAFSA, so I didn't get much aid. I had to pay the difference because my parents never paid for my school.
If you don't. Do you pay out of pocket for school or take out a loan?
I paid out of pocket the first year, but then I couldn't afford it. I also didn't want to take a loan out just to go to a school that I didn't even want to go to in the first place. So I dropped out.
Any comments about how financial aid dependency is determined?
I just don't think it should be based on my parents' information if I am supporting and paying for school myself. The financial aid told me that since I wasn't 24, married, or knocked up, I wasn't an independent. Those were the guy's exact words. It's ridiculous.



Anthony Points
Age: 21
Student Status: Current Student at CSUN
Interview:
When filling out the FAFSA, do you file as independent or dependent?
Independent
If independent and under 24 what process did you go through to get that status?
I was raised by aunt and uncle so was able to file as a ward of the state, but it doesn't cover nearly enough for tuition.
Do you live independently/ self-support?
Yes
Do you receive financial aid?
Very little
For the portion not covered, do you pay out of pocket for school or take out a loan?
Take a loan out
Any comments about how financial aid dependency is determined?
It sucks. I don't know why they are taking the income from 2 years ago. They aren't transparent about how it is determined. It sucks that I am on my own and still have to take loans out. But my friend who lives with their parents get there tuition covered and then some. They don't even do anything, and my grades are better.








"How Do I Become Independent on the FAFSA If I Am Under Age 24?” Fastweb, 29 Aug. 2017,    
www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/how-do-i-become-independent-on-the-fafsa-if-i-am
under-age-24.



Rivera, Carla. “Cost, Financial Aid Becoming More Important in College Choice.” Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times, 5 Mar. 2014, articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/05/local/la-me-ln-college-survey-20140305.

















No comments:

Post a Comment