Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Natalie Sanchez


BULLYING


Bullying has been around for decades affecting children and their adulthood. Many people are unaware that bullying occurs because it can take many forms such as name-calling, social exclusion, physical aggression, spreading rumors, damaging or stealing property, or intimidation (Wang. J., Iannotti. J., & Nansel R. T., 2009). Most of these experiences happen while attending school. According to a survey conducted by the Canadian Council on Learning, up to 40% of students experience bullying while at school. Bullying mainly affects an individual's well-being, "Children and youths who are bullied are at an increased risk for self-esteem and mistrust of others" (Eckholm & Zezima, 2010). Bullying can happen anywhere and to anyone. It is important to observe children and students because they are the most affected. 

Relevance 

Bullying is a big issue that can affect an individual's well-being. I was one of many because growing up I was a victim of bullying.  As a child, I was made fun of my skin tone. Others always laughed and called me names for being dark skin. I never wore short sleeve shirts because I was self-conscious all the time.  I did not realize it back then because I was not aware it was considered bullying. All I thought it was people did not like me and so my self-esteem dropped. They also made fun of my English because I did not speak it correctly. Them making fun of my speaking had another impact on me because I blamed my parents. After going through these experiences, I became a bit aggressive with others. I started distancing myself, and I did not have friends even up to now.  I know bullying affected me and can continue affecting others if it is not addressed. 

Public Audience 




"I don't think it'll ever stop, but people have to stop judging others for their physical appearance."

       
-Francisco Rivera




"Bullying should stop because it affects the persons life."


-Adriana Bautista









"I think bullying should stop because sometimes other kids can hit you and you get hurt."

- Erick Flores




References
Eckholm, E., & Zezima, K. (2010, March 29). 6 Teenagers Are Charged After Classmate's Suicide. Retrieved from                      https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/30/us/30bully.html


Canadian Council on Learning. (2008). Bullying in Canada: How intimidation affects learning. Toronto, ON: Canadian Council on Learning.

Wang, J., Iannotti, R. J., & Nansel, T. R. (2009). School Bullying Among Adolescents in the United States: Physical, Verbal, Relational, and Cyber. Journal of Adolescent Health, 45(4), 368-375. Doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2009.03.021
















No comments:

Post a Comment