Thursday, November 8, 2018

Childhood Cancer Awareness


Childhood Cancer Awareness

...Because kids can not fight cancer alone.

Every year thousands of children from ages 0 to 14 years old will be diagnosed with cancer.  According to, the National Cancer Institute, in 2017 an approximated 10,270 children will be diagnosed another estimated 1,190 children will die from the disease in 2017.  Childhood cancer or sometimes referred to as Pediatric cancer is the leading cause of death from disease among children. Cancer attacks growing cells in the body, because children are growing so rapidly they tend to acquire different types of cancer than those of adults.  As stated by the American Cancer Society some types of cancers a child can have are:
  • Leukemia
  • Brain and Spinal cord tumors
  • Neuroblastoma
  • Wilms tumor
  • Lymphoma
  • Rhabdomyosarcoma
  • Retinoblastoma
  • Bone cancer 
The American Cancer Society also lists some symptoms too look out for. Which are:
  • Unusual swelling or lumps
  • Unexplained paleness and loss of energy
  • Easy bruising
  • An ongoing pain in one area of the body
  • Limping
  • Unexplained fever or illness that doesn’t go away
  • Frequent headaches, often with vomiting
  • Sudden eye or vision changes
  • Sudden unexplained weight loss
Because this disease affects so many, President Barrack Obama proclaimed September as Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. To show support and help raise awareness, gold ribbons are warn throughout the month of September.

When it comes to childhood cancer every case is situational.  It depends on the childs age, the symptoms and ultimately the type of cancer as well as  biological development along with many other health factors.  Which is why it is important to contact a physician if any symptoms occur.  

 This disease affects many people in the United states.  One thing I have personally experienced with cancer in general is that this disease does not only affect the individual but the families as well.  I have chose to speak about this issue because it has directly affected me and many other members of my community.  My personal experience was with my 3 year old family member, Adrian Montes De Oca.  Adrian was 2 weeks shy of his 3rd birthday when he was diagnosed with stage three Rhabdomyosarcoma.  Rhabdomyosarcoma is a very rare cancerous malignant tumor of the muscles that attach to the bone.  It is the most common soft tissue cancer in children.  To our family he is known as "Super Adrian" or "Our Super Hero" because he absolutely loved superheroes and showed so much strength during treatment.  Spider-man was his favorite and is a huge part in how we remember him.   
Adrian endured 7 months of intense chemotherapy, when unfortunately the cancer spread to his brain.  He passed away on May 23rd.  
In honor of Our Super Hero and to  help spread awareness my family and I participate in many childhood cancer walks and fundraisers that help raise awareness and funds in the fight against this disease. These events also act as a support group for many other families that are struggling with the disease today.

My cousin, Heather Heavlin, Adrian's mother had this to say,

"On May twenty-third, two thousand fourteen (the morning after my birthday), my sweet boy passed away in my arms, after I asked him to let go, as I changed my mind and begged for him to stay with me, and then begged him to be pain free and go again. The boy who brightened my whole world was gone. Childhood Cancer might have taken my son from me, but LOVE NEVER DIES! Adrian taught me how to smile more. To dance like no one is watching. He taught me that no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. He taught me to say hi to strangers, and to ALWAYS be kind. He taught me how to love with my entire heart, and he showed me what it’s like to love unconditionally. Each and every day, I live my life thinking, “What would Adrian do?!” I live my life to make him PROUD! Every single day, I turn this unbearable pain, into purpose. I am a proud member of the Desi Strong Foundation, where our mission is to provide emotional and financial support to families of pediatric cancer, and to raise funds to find a cure for pediatric cancer. For the rest of my life, I will search for ways to honor my son, and NEVER give up helping other families who are affected by Childhood Cancer as well!"





No comments:

Post a Comment