Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Jacqueline Muniz (Birth Control Pros and Cons)

Civic Engagement Topic: My action is too inform individuals about the pros/cons of birth control. Not everyone is aware about the pros/cons about birth control, which is why I would like to bring awareness about important information about this topic so the community can be aware about both sides.

Research:
There are plenty forms of birth control which can help females and males have safe sexual intercourse. Not only does birth control help have safe sexual intercourse but it also prevents pregnancy if used correctly. It is important to be informed about birth control because one may not be aware of the different kinds that are available to them which can help them prevent an unplanned pregnancy.
How effective is it?
According to the Guttmacher Institute article on "Contraceptive use in the United States", the different forms of birth control are effective if used correctly and accounts for 68% of individuals who take it correctly. Individuals whom do not take it correctly and inconsistently account for 41% of unintended pregnancies.

Different forms of Birth Control Include:
-Hormonal Implants
-Intra-Uterine (IUD)
-Tubal Ligation (Female Sterilization)
-Depo-Provera(Hormonal Injection)
-Birth Control (Pills)
-Hormone Patch
-Vaginal Hormonal Ring
-Diaphragm
-Cervical Cap
-Female Condom
-Male Condom
-Withdrawal
-Contraceptive Sponge
-Lactational Amenorrhea
-Fertitlity Awareness Based Methods
-Spermicide

Here is a graph of the statistics of which Birth Control females use and find the most effective from Guttmatcher Institute article:


All pros and cons vary among these different forms of Birth Control
According to the "Contraception: Pros and Cons of different contraceptive Methods", in the Young Women's Health article ; listed down below are a few Pros and Cons about different types of birth control:

1.Pros about Birth Control Pills
-Has a 91% effective rate
-Prevents pregnancy if used correctly
-Decreases acne and menstrual cramps
-Does not interrupt sexual intercourse
-Makes one less likely to get ovarian and uterine cancer, pelvic inflammatory disease, ovarian cysts, and anemia
Cons about Birth Control Pills:
-Does not protect against STI's
-Birth Control pills may be free or or have co-pay depending on insurance
-need to take at the same time once a day every day
-need a prescription
-cannot be used by women who have medical problems
-may cause nausea, increased appetite, headaches, and very rare blood clots

2.Pros about: Hormonal Implants
-has a 99% effective rate
-Long term method of birth control for 3 years
-Causes light or no menstrual periods
Cons about: Hormonal Implants
-does not protect against STI's
-Requires minor surgery to insert and remove implant
-Can cause side effects like irregular periods,  depression its.
-Could get infected in area where it was placed

3.Pros about Tubal Ligation (Female Sterilization)
-99% effective rate
-One time decision that will prevent against pregnancy forever
Cons about Tubal Ligation (Female Sterilization)
-Need to have minor surgery
-Permanent, women have to be sure that they do not want kids at all
-Expensive
-Does not protect against STI's

4.Pros about Intra-Uterine Device (IUD)
-Once placed in uterus it protects against pregnancy right away
-Does not need daily attention
-Comfortable and you and partner will not feel it
-Can be removed at any time and one can get pregnant right away
Cons about Intra-Uterine Device (IUD)
-Does not protect against STI's
-Needs to be inserted by health care provider
-Can fall out or puncture the uterus
-The copper IUD can have side effects like menstrual cramps, longer/heavier menstrual periods, and have spotting during menstrual periods
-High risk of infection when placed within the first 20 days

5.Pros about Male Condom
-Lowers risk of STI's
-Provides the most protection against sexually transmitted infections
-men say that they can "last longer" when using a condom
-allow men to have an active part in preventing pregnancy
Cons about Male Condom:
-Can break
-Women can be allergic to the latex
-Need a new one every time one has sexual intercourse
-Can interrupt/disrupt sexual activity

Mostly all contraceptive uses are guaranteed if used correctly and made sure that they are being checked on and couples taking the right pre-cautions. Here is another graph from the Guttmacher Institute website about the data on how the different forms of birth control are effective:



It is important for the community to be well aware of the pros and cons about the different forms of birth control, this is because it will help women protect themselves against unplanned pregnancies. This social issue is important to me because I think that all this information should be able to women of all ages, younger and older so they can be knowledgeable as well as men how birth control can help have safe sexual intercourse and couples do not have to worry about being/getting pregnant. I personally used the male condom at first with my boyfriend and now I use the birth control pill method; at first i did feel my body go through a change, but it was a good change with having less cramps and less acne which is a pro about birth control pills. I find it very effective because it made me less worried about worrying if I'm pregnant or not. Not only are the different birth control methods available to prevent pregnancy but there is also emergency contraceptives known as a (Plan B pill) just in case there is an accident. I chose this social issue because there are many young individuals who are not aware of the different birth control methods as well as not being aware of the pros and cons about them. So I would like to inform the public about these pros and cons so there decision in choosing a birth control method if they would like easier knowing this information and the statistics of them.

Evidence: Community Members and there take on the different birth control methods available;

Noemy Castro:


Says that "I take no birth control method because of not knowing the side effects they may cause me to have and I would rather not go through having changes with my hormones as well as not being aware of all the types that are available, but I do rely on the "Plan B morning after pill" just in case of an emergency".


Paulina Valencia:

Said that "My opinion on birth control is that for my personal use I have gotten the Depo-Provera which is the hormonal injection. I would go every 3 months which is what one is supposed to do to avoid pregnancy. I would go consistently and would be up to date with it to make sure i would not get pregnant. I would not really get my menstrual cycle and only spot during the 3 years i used it and found it very effective. I have used the pill and i did not like it i prefer the depo-provera shot because of the side effects I would get from it".


Carmen Ramirez:


Said that with her personal experiences "I've used the pill, the IUD, and the Nuva Ring. The pill is my least favorite, I did not like the side effects and I would forget to take it at times. I would break out and it was a bit more stressful because if I forgot to take it i was afraid it would not be as effective. The Nuva Ring I liked that one, I would switch it out every month and I felt it was not much of a hassle. Every time I would remove it, it was then that I would have my menstrual cycle and I would know exactly what days I was on my period. Though I heard some people do not like because it was uncomfortable to put on, I personally did not have a problem.The IUD I had for 5 years and that worked great, I had it after giving birth to my second child and it was not painful to put it on. I had no problems for the first 3 years. I did notice that I did have trouble loosing weight, I got some acne, and would have all the symptoms of a period but no bleeding and I didn't have to worry about taking it in on a daily. I think I would try the IUD for 10 years with no hormones next because if went back to pills and i did not like the side effects"



Works Cited:

Posted under Health Guides. Updated 20 January 2017. Related Content. “Contraception: Pros and Cons of Different Contraceptive Methods.” Center for Young Women's Health, 20 Jan. 2017, youngwomenshealth.org/2009/01/28/pros-and-cons-contraceptive-methods/.

“Contraceptive Use in the United States.” Guttmacher Institute, 26 July 2018, www.guttmacher.org/fact-sheet/contraceptive-use-united-states.

No comments:

Post a Comment