Tuesday, November 6, 2018

HealthyFoodChoicesOnCampus-Deidra Hutchinson

Healthier Food Choices on Cal State Los Angeles Campus


Introduction
Cal State Los Angeles has limited food options on campus that do not allow for a wide variety of choices. Most options on campus are fast food restaurants with calorie heavy items. This could lead to poor student productivity, bad habits, and possibly higher rates of obesity among students. Students need better choices that will ultimately aid them in becoming better students, food consumers, and foster healthy habits.

Research
At many 4-year colleges and universities in the United States, first-year students eat most if not all of their main meals on campus, and on-campus venues serve a substantial proportion of students even if they live off campus. However, evidence suggests that the food available on campus is not conducive to healthful eating (Pelletier JE, 2013). A study of 15 postsecondary institutions concluded that “the full campus dining environment provides limited support for healthful eating and obesity prevention” (Horacek TM, 2013), and weight gain among first-year college students has been well documented (Vella-Zarb RA, 2009). It is now well established that poor eating habits and limited physical activity in adolescence are directly linked to serious health consequences later in life such as osteoporosis, obesity, hyperlipedemia, and diabetes (Bazzano, 2006Hallal et al., 2006).

Community Statements 
 Ivan N., student, english major
"I'm really frustrated by the lack of choices on campus, I can only eat Carl's Jr. so many times. I wish there was a way to store food, like personal fridges, I might pack a lunch more often if that was an option." 

Jemma B, student, kinesthesiology major
"As a Kin major I usually try to stay more conscious about the food choices I make while on campus. Because there aren't a lot of healthy options, I either try to eat a big meal before coming on campus, or I spend way too much money on a salad from Salazar Hall. Either way, I'm not too happy about it."
Nancy G., student, film major
"I didn't really think the options in the cafeteria were that bad until you asked me about my opinion. I really don't think about my food choices, I pick based on what's cheap and whats going to fill me up up on campus."


Personal 
My first semester at Cal State LA was eye-opening, and it wasn't in relation to the coursework. I found myself in the cafeteria often, as my first semester's schedule had me on campus everyday for almost 8 hours. I always debated the choices, trying to find better options because I knew as a nutritional science major how detrimental fast food everyday was. There was hardly any fresh choices, everything was fried, salt and sugar heavy. I felt frustrated with the lack of options and knew that the choices I made contributed to a substantial weight gain my first year. Now, I pack a lunch, but I am concerned with the lack of effort on the part of Cal State LA to provide healthy alternatives for students who may not have much knowledge of food choices.

Sources 
Tseng, M., DeGreef, K., Fishler, M., Gipson, R., Koyano, K., & Neill, D. (2016). Assessment of a University Campus Food Environment, California, 2015. Preventing Chronic Disease13, 1-10. doi: 10.5888/pcd13.150455

Franko, D., Cousineau, T., Trant, M., Green, T., Rancourt, D., & Thompson, D. et al. (2008). Motivation, self-efficacy, physical activity and nutrition in college students: Randomized controlled trial of an internet-based education program. Preventive Medicine47(4), 369-377. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2008.06.013

No comments:

Post a Comment