Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Christopher Alonzo (Guns Down Bikes Up)

Illegal ATV and Dirtbike Riders

Dirtbiking On Ilegal highway (Introduction)
In the last decade dirtbikes and all-terrain vehicles have become increasingly common sights buzzing across Newark's urban landscape. Youngster mostly located in the ghetto in the city of Baltimore and Philadelphia are becoming more involved in this reckless activity. Due to this activity, they are causing traffic in these cities and sometimes it leads to some severe accidents, either for the rider or the police that is chasing them. Riding dirt bikes on the highway is highly illegal as these riders ride they ride in groups of up to 200 people. This is very highly dangerous for the fact as they are riding they are doing wheelies down on the highway one wrong move. And it can cause a serious accident not just for them but for the people in that group.




Research 


Dirtbikes In Philadelphia 
The data I found was astonishing! According to CBS Philly news, riders are endangering innocent people more every year. "There are no headlights, no tail lights, no brake lights and they're out there riding in the dark. People do not see them," said Philadelphia Police Det. Jack Logan. Since riders are riding without no headlights in the dark the risk of injuries are increasing every year by high percentages. The most recent injury in Philadelphia a father was riding with his son and was with an SUV.  Police said the bike was not registered nor was it street legal, it had no lights and neither party was wearing a helmet. The 6-year-old was killed and the father was severely injured. Now we should ask ourselves should we take more action on this individual riding illegally on highways.

Dirtbikes In Baltimore  


Dirt biking on highway illegally is where originally started from thanks to the group called 12 o'clock boys that still is active till this day. According to the documentary film, 12 o'clock boys is based on a boy name pug his one fascination is to be part of the group, dirt bikes, and his desire to join the 12 O'Clock Boys. About 85% of people who ride dirt bikes illegally the youngsters around them will also follow their footsteps. As you can see that these kids look up to these individuals an in no time will be on engines with 450 screaming down on the highways of Baltimore city. According to the film 10-20 of individuals who ride dirt bikes dies for riding dirtbikes with no helmets or the certain type of protection.


Personal: Why Dirt biking Illegally is Relevant to me?

I grow up In Baltimore city and was exposed to all the riding and sounds of four strokes and two strokes roaring down the highway of where I live. I was taught how to ride at the age of 9 years old by the age 12 years old I was popping wheelies on 450 engine. I rode for 5 years straight and during those five years, people who were riding with me were getting into accidents and were stopping traffic as well. My friend DJ lost his life on riding a YZ450F it was raining that day he popped the clutch too early and slip and landed on his head. One thing that I witness was that as kids were riding they were avoiding all the negative affiliation. There was this saying in Baltimore "Guns Down Bikes Up". This saying was very true it kept kids from doing bad things. I am not against Dirtbiking at all I'm actually on the side that kids should do it. The only thing I'm against is that kids should do it correctly without endangering others and themselves and of course with the proper gear too. There are places where all this can be done correctly but doing it on the highway is not the way. It took me a long time to accept it but I accepted it and know the truth now. 

Voices of The Community 

Red Lenfer

"Dirt bike riding has always been my passion since I was a little kid. I've been riding since the age 8 years old I was taught how to ride by my cousin drew. I was against the law and would sometimes even challenge the authority. But then I realized with time what I love doing the most was endearing other innocent people in society. So now I just ride in free parking lots and with proper gear also."






Aracely Jiminez

The industry of motorsports has always been a hobby of mines. Never took to that extreme to learn how to motocross and learning how to whip, it wasn't for me. But one thing I do love to is riding as fast as I can full throttle down the street hitting all the gears. Wheelies I am not to good at it but can take it up to maybe 2nd gear. I stop riding on the highways for two main reasons. One reason was that I was waking up the neighbors. And the most important reason was that I almost hit a 5-year-old girl. If would have hit her I could have probably ended up killing her. Then at that moment, I knew that I had stopped riding on highways because it can lead to serious problems or even death. The solution to keep my sport going is going to a special place for my riding."






Work Cited
Cuellar, Dann. “Police Begin Crackdown on Illegal ATV and Dirt Bike Riders.” 6abc Philadelphia, 25 Apr. 2018, 6abc.com/police-begin-crackdown-on-illegal-atv-and-dirt-bike-riders/3388259/.


Hollywood, Deadline. “12 O'Clock Boys - Exclusive Trailer.” YouTube, YouTube, 7 Aug. 2013, www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMQY6k16TU.





No comments:

Post a Comment