Thursday, November 8, 2018

Eastern and Western Education

Education Between Eastern and Western Culture

                                                             Author: Wenjia Zhang

Why Education is important? 

                                                             Nelson Mandela

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. (Nelson Mandela)

Nowadays, education is very important for people when they grow up. Good education can make a person have more knowledge and be an outstanding person. Bad education could make people become bad, criminal and even go to the jail. When babies were born, most parents want to give their children good education in their own ways.    

 

Nelson Mandela said, "Education is the great engine of personal development. It is through education that the daughter of a peasant can become a doctor, that the son of a mine worker can become the head of the mine, that a child of farm workers can become the president of a great nation. It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another." (Amanda Patterson 2013) 

 

In fact, different culture's people have different education and they try to use their own ways in order to get better education. Considering that I am an international student, I can really feel the differences between Eastern and Western’s education. 

Eastern Education 

In Eastern country, for example, China, parents believe that everything is for their children. Chinese parents want their children learn things from books and take as much as possible classes when their children grow up. In the past, there were many ancient legends about learning (p12): 

  • "Having studied, to then always practice what you have learned -- is this not a pleasure?" ("学而时习之不亦说乎") 

  • "Continue studying without respite, instruct others without growing weary." ("学而不厌,诲人不倦") 

  • "To know what you know and know what you do not know -- this is wisdom." ("知之为知之,不知为不知,是知也")

Chinese always use their ancient legends in order to encourage their children to study.

Western Education

In Western country, for example, the United States, parents more prefer their children use their "Critical thinking" through their learning process. They really focus on learning diversities and interests during their education. They let their children choose classes. In the book, Cultural Foundations of Learning: East and West, writer Jin Li mentions five key themes of Western education (p. 15):

  • Human curiosity about the external world is the inspiration for knowledge. 

  • A relentless spirit of inquiry into the universe will lead to knowledge.

  • Mind is the highest human faculty that enables this inquiry.

  • Reason (not heart) is the process by which we know the world.

  • The individual is the sole entity for inquiry, discovery and altimate triumph.

Why is so different?

One main reason is the population.

In China, there are 1,382,276,482 people in 2017 and in America, there are 325,880,341 people in 2017. There are a huge numbers of population in China and all people need to get the education, however, Chinese schools does not have a lot. People must study hard and be prepared for their test. They cannot develop their interests just like Americans today because they have so many people. They must survive from their important tests so that they can get good education. Chinese parents force their children to go to the school that they want and choose their majors for their children. My mother believes that you need to study well so that you can go to a good school.

"If you do not study well, you cannot go to a good school. You cannot find a good job without a good graduation certificate."                         

                                                                                                                        - Hua Song

Personal Experiences

When I was in high school, I was told be a good girl and needed to be study well. Our class courses was decided by our teachers and my mother push me to take the class that she wanted. To tell the truth, I had no interest in that class and I even did not have a hobby from the outside. I felt really stressful and have no ideas with what I was doing. 

 

After I went to America, I felt free and I chose my major on my own. I could choose classes that I wanted and I really have the motivation to take these classes. According to these years in America, I felt I am independent and I could manage my class schedule. I do not need my mother to take care of my class and I love the way that western countries' education.

 

One of my high school's friends also gets the same feelings with me. Her name is Jennifer Cui and she is studying in New York University in order to get her master. She told me that she made a right decision to study abroad from her hometown. Eastern education is good, but Western education is more fit for her. She could select what she wants to study and manages her study time on her own. 

  "I love American education and it makes me more diversity than before."

                                                                                                               - Jennifer Cui




Sources


Amanda P. (2013). The Top 10 Nelson Mandela Quotes on Education (Decemeber 6, 2013). Retrieved November 6, 2017, from https://writerswrite.co.za/rest-in-peace-nelson-mandela/

Jin L. (2012). Cultural Foundations of Learning: East and West. Cambridge University Press, page 12 & page 15.

Lisa N. (2014). Eastern Versus Western Learning Approaches (July 21, 2014). Retrieved November 6, 2017, from https://www.chinasource.org/resource-library/articles/eastern-versus-western-learning-approaches

Population of China (2017). Population of the World (Novemeber 6, 2017).Retrieved November 6, 2017 from https://www.livepopulation.com/country/china.html

Population of United States (2017). Population of the World (November 6 ,2017). Retrieved Novemeber 6, 2017 from https://www.livepopulation.com/country/united-states.html



No comments:

Post a Comment