Thursday, November 8, 2018

Jorge Alvarez (Minimum Wage)

Minimum Wage in America


           The cost of living in the United States has increased throughout the years, but yet the minimum wage is lagging in comparison. The Federal minimum wage is set at $7.25 and as of January 2017 only twenty-nine states out of fifty have a higher wage than the federal wage and it's still not enough to cover the cost of living. In states like California and New York the minimum wage is easily over the federal, but the cost of rent and utilities is through the roof. Although some increases have been made throughout the years it's still not enough to have a decent life in America. 

           Over twenty million Americans live off of minimum wage and out of those twenty most are employed in some type of food industry or they are single parents.Most people living on minimum wage are forced to live with roommates or receive government assistance and in some cases both just to survive. People are looked down upon for receiving such assistance but ultimately they have no choice in the matter, it is either get the help they need or struggle for survival. According to an article published by NBC Los Angeles, "it takes three full-time minimum wage jobs to afford a two-bedroom rental home." The article goes on to state that "Californians need a hourly full-time wage of $32.68 to afford a two-bedroom rental home." This means that at the current minimum wage in California, a worker needs to work over on hundred hours just to afford housing.






This is a very important issue to me because it is one that has affected me all my life. Growing up my mother was always living paycheck to paycheck and it was never enough. The sad thing is that there are millions of Californians, let alone Americans that this affects as well if not more. I've been working and living off of minimum wage since I was eighteen. This was the same time that I started college at UCR and the money was never enough. I never had enough money to buy the new textbooks or to have new clothes every quarter like the other students did at the University.The money I earned through work either had to go towards school to pay off what my Grants and loans could not cover and the transportation I took to visit home from time to time. The good thing is that I'm not stuck in the minimum wage life, I have my ticket out through my education, but many Americans unfortunately do not have the same luxury. They're trapped and have no way out. The system in which we live in is designed to keep them there.

Talking to some members in my neighborhood I met three individuals who are affected by this problem.


"Working for Disney the minimum wage is lower than that of the actual state. We are only paid a little over $10 and it's never enough. I have no idea how families live off of this when I can barely afford my life through this salary. Thankfully I have my parents to support me and help when needed but I know I would not be able to do it alone. I know that I cannot live on my own with this pay so I need another option or a job that offers more. For now the pay is enough to sustain my life, but I know that I cannot say the same in the future."

" Both me and my husband work a minimum wage job. We both work full-time hours and it is barely enough to cover rent and utilities. I am thankful that I am able to get government assistance for myself and my family. Raising three kids on two minimum wage salaries is not easy. We can never get them everything they want Christmas or their birthdays because we have so many bills and rent is ridiculous in California. We either need to raise the minimum wage or lower the cost of living. There's no reason why renting an apartment should financially feel as if we are buying a home"

"Right now I'm working two minimum wage jobs just to cover rent and the cost of living for myself. One day I do want to settle down and start a family, but I know that my income is not enough to have that life just yet. I do want to go back to school but I feel like I can't. I have so many bills and I can't live off of just one job. $13 an hour is not going to cut it, it's not even going to be enough for my rent. I know I have to go back to school but for now I can't because my priorities are set on my bills."



works cited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a0k68ZJEQU

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/04/5-facts-about-the-minimum-wage/

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Over-30-Dollars-a-Hour-is-Needed-to-Afford-Decent-Rent-in-California-485861801.html

No comments:

Post a Comment