Thursday, November 9, 2017

Quianna Jackson-Effects of Childhood Abuse on One's Development






INTRODUCTION
     There are various forms of abuse which are physical, emotional, psychological, sexual, verbal, and neglect. These forms of abuse are even worse when the victim is a child, , especially when it comes from the person that is solely responsible for the child’s happiness, upbringing, love and attachment. As well as the foster care system and its vital employees who are responsible for placement of young children into a loving and nurturing environment, yet fails to maintain a constant relationship with the child to ensure the child’s well-being and safety. Maltreatment is widely known for going unnoticed in society unless it is a server case or incident. We need to be aware of the signs, be observant and have an open listening ear to child when they talk and play, so we can step in early to help and assist them so they grow up in healthy environments and around positive people.

     This blog will only address physical, emotional, and psychological abuse. The Federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act defines child abuse as, “Any recent act or failure to act on the part of a parent or caregiver which results in death, serious physical or emotional harm, sexual abuse or exploitation”; or “An act or failure to act which presents an imminent risk of serious harm.” (Definitions of Child Abuse and Neglect in Federal Law, n.d.). A child cannot be at his or her full potential when they are faced with so much adversity early in life. Various forms of maltreatment can and will affect a child’s developmental process growing up.







RESEARCH
     In this article, 2,300 low-income boys and girls ranging in ages five to thirteen, attended a research summer camp in New York from 1986-2012. Half of the children attending this camp had some forms of child maltreatment such as: physical, emotional, and sexual abuse and the other half had not been maltreated. The study’s objective was to see whether assumptions about various forms of child maltreatments had a universal corresponding, and comprehensive effects. They used various forms of externalizing and internalizing personality and psychopathologic traits to assess self-reported, depression and peer ratings of aggression and disruptive behavior. All the participants who had a history of abuse revealed similar mental health and behavioral issues, such as anxiety, depression, rule-breaking and aggression. The outcome was that different types of maltreatment had parallel consequences.

Vachon, D., Krueger, R., Rogosch, F., & Cicchetti, D. (2015). Assessment of the harmful psychiatric and behavioral effects of different forms of child maltreatment. JAMA Psychiatry, 72(11), 1135-1142

     In this article, 34 neglectful mothers were picked from active chronic caseloads to 33 non-neglectful mothers picked from community agencies that cater to families. The mothers were measured using the IFEEL Pictures Task as well as the Beck Depression Inventory-II and was compensated with twenty-five dollars. The purpose is to compare information processing tasks related to the children’s emotions, behaviors, the caregiving relationship, and the recall of child-related information. The study showed that the neglectful mothers could not recognize their infant’s feelings of interest, but they could recognize the infant’s sadness or shame and incorrectly labeled their child’s emotions. The neglectful mothers could not clearly determine whether their children were at risk of harm and had terrible recall of information. The neglectful mothers have a non-secure attachment to the child. The neglectful mothers used more non-emotional words than non-neglectful mothers.

Hildyard, K., & Wolfe, D. (2007). Cognitive processes associated with child neglect. Child Abuse & Neglect, 31(8), 895-907.

      In this article, 123 children were studied, (66 maltreated and 57 non-maltreated) ranging from ages 1-3 years old. This study uses a dyadic assessment procedure to examine the relationship between, parenting, emotion regulation, and symptoms of psychopathology among maltreated and non-maltreated parent-child interactions. The children were measured using the Child Behavior Checklist. The results were that the maltreated children had more anger, more internalizing issues, and less positive affect on the future, than non-maltreated children. This show sthat the children who had positive parental figures in their life had a much better outcome of regulating emotions than those who have negative parental figures. Emotion dysregulation is due to poor parent-child interactions is associated with early maltreatment. Because of the early maltreatment these children experience, they have harder time regulating their emotions and thus they have higher level of behavioral problem.

Robinson, L., Morris, A., Heller, S., Scheeringa, M., Boris, N., et al. (2009). Relations between emotion regulation, parenting, and psychopathology in young maltreated children in out of home care. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 18(4), 421-434.



 PERSONAL
     This topic resonates so close to my heart because I have personally experienced every single one of these types of abuse, especially because I was raised in a foster care system and was adopted into a family that was detrimental to my well-being. From the first day of being in the Jackson household, the abuse began immediately. I found myself at an early age dealing with an identity crisis. Because of the trauma, I was experiencing at home, it seemed no matter where I went, I was always being obedient and doing whatever people wanted me to do, I was the yes ma’am. Many times, I felt that I did not want to do the things people were asking me for but, imbedded in me was this fear of rejection, fear of not being like, fear of any negativity that may come my way, because I was being conditioned to be so. Due to this conditioning, I allowed many people in my life that have influenced my life in negative ways but was never able to escape because I didn’t know any better and felt like I deserved it. No one in my life showed my kindness, showed me how to love or be love, no one showed me how to live a positive and happy life besides the families I watched on television. What a fantasy life they lived and I wanted it, but in my heart felt like it was no in my wheel house to have. The maltreatment my foster parents subjected me to definitely affected my development as a child as well as an adult.

STORIES




















"The Pain is Real" Quianna Jackson
     I believe wholeheartedly in this action because, no child should ever endure any type of pain unless it is considered a typical "Boo Boo," children get when falling down from playing. A child should experience a life of bliss and happiness, which will allow them a healthy successful happy positive life as an adult.


"See Me." Jennifer Jackson
I am a survivor of child abuse.

" Smile Through the Pain." Pedro Rodriguez
     I find it hard to trust my significant other because I could not trust my own mother due to all she's done to me. The years of physical abuse will haunt my relationships forever.

"Breaking the Cycle." Treshan Thomas
     When did it become not okay to be a kid? When I was a child my mother abused me mentally, physically, and emotionally. I see that now in my adulthood that it really effected me. I find myself everyday to try not to turn out like my mother everyday, which is a daily struggle. Trying to break the cycle with my own child. I was told as a child, to never say anything. This is a scar I will carry forever.

"Speak no Evil." Stefanie Camarena
Being in a relationship with someone who was abused as a child, comes with its challenges. It is difficult for him to show empathy towards me and others. He often at times shuts down his feelings and still resents his mother for all of the abuse she inflicted on him.



"Out of Sight, Out of Mind." Gregory Hamilton
It is a very sad situation that breaks my heart. I try not to see it and I don't want to hear it.





 REFERENCES

Definitions of Child Abuse and Neglect in Federal Law. (n.d.). Retrieved 3 1, 2017, from Children’s Bureau, Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/can/defining/federal/

Hildyard, K., & Wolfe, D. (2007). Cognitive processes associated with child neglect. Child Abuse & Neglect, 31(8), 895-907.

Robinson, L., Morris, A., Heller, S., Scheeringa, M., Boris, N., et al. (2009). Relations between emotion regulation, parenting, and psychopathology in young maltreated children in out of home care. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 18(4), 421-434.

Vachon, D., Krueger, R., Rogosch, F., & Cicchetti, D. (2015). Assessment of the harmful psychiatric and behavioral effects of different forms of child maltreatment. JAMA Psychiatry, 72(11), 1135-1142



No comments:

Post a Comment