Thursday, November 9, 2017

Is My Gay Blood Not Good Enough?

Research: 
Donating blood is an important aspect of the health industry these days. Donating blood helps victims of accidents who are in need of blood, helps researchers analyze how to prevent or cure diseases that spread via bloodstream, and help those who need blood transfusions. In theory, anyone should be able to donate. However, you cannot donate if you cannot meet the certain eligibility requirements, which in general tend to be reasonable. For example, you cannot donate blood if you have AIDS/HIV. Sadly, there is one that directly discriminates the gay men in our communities.According to the American Red Cross website, under LGBTQ+ Donors they state that, "The FDA guidance “Revised Recommendations for Reducing the Risk of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Transmission by Blood and Blood Products” states, “Defer for 12 months from the most recent sexual contact, a man who has had sex with another man during the past 12 months.” All U.S. blood collection organizations must follow this federal requirement." This requirement essentially means that if any gay man wants to donate blood, he must refrain from sexual intercourse with a man for a whole year in order to be an eligible donor. The FDA also states that "Defer for 12 months from the most recent contact a female who has had sex during the past 12 months with a man who has had sex with another man in the past 12 months." Thus, meaning that even women who have sexual intercourse with bisexual men that have had sex with a man within the year, not only is he deferred for a year, but she is as well.


Personal:
As a man who identifies as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, I personally feel this discrimination against gay men first-hand. I have always wanted to donate blood, but I always had other issues come up that prevented me (I would always have a big event the day of or day after the blood drive on my high school campus). However, now I know that even if I tried I have a huge risk of not being able to donate blood because my blood could have HIV/AIDS. In the year 2017, I would have hoped to have prejudice and discriminatory views like this to have ended. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. I am still thought to be an open harbor for HIV/AIDS contraction simply because I have sex with men. On the contrary, straight people can partake in anal intercourse and not be deferred from donating blood for 12 months due to the possibility of having HIV/AIDS. Straight people are able to have sex and not worry about being denied the privilege to help save lives by donating their blood for research or for victims in need of a blood transfusion. Straight people do not have to deal with being told that due to their lifestyle they "probably already have HIV/AIDS" by other people. This is not only an issue that affects the LGBT community because of being thrown obstacles as usual, but because it shows that a negative stigma is still painted about gay men and being STD prone due to our sex lives. People think that "it's 2017, people are more open minded and accepting about homosexuality. Being 'out' isn't as scary anymore." Although that is partially true, members of the LGBTQ+ community still face much discrimination and fear to this day. Transgender people are still murdered in hate crimes, members of the LGBTQ+ who come out to their families are still ostracized or murdered for not being heterosexual, and so much more. This restriction of preventing gay men from donating blood is a more subtle form of homophobia. If there is not STD present or if they have been having safe sex and are both healthy, why is there fear of HIV/AIDS? Why fear my blood? Why fear me? It's 2017, I thought we are more "accepting" of people like me. From the look's of it, I was wrong as my blood is still seen as something to be feared because of who I decide to have sex with based on my sexuality (that I cannot change).



Supporters:
Arlyn Martinez
"I feel the situation is wrong and unjust. If there is no virus being transferred, there is no valid reason as to why gay men should not have the option to donate blood and possibly save a life, just as any heterosexual person might possibly do. Identity should not be held against the possibility of saving a life, therefore, I stand with the LGBTQIA Community."
Iyanah Armelin
"It is wrong that our country places these limitations onto those they feel are inferior. It upsets me that people who are looked at 'different' because they go against 'social norms' are refrained from their rights. Change needs to be implemented and equality/equity should be fully provided."






Angelica Escartin
"Blood is a necessity, if it can save lives, if the person donating has clean and viable blood what does it matter the person's sexuality."











Sources:
http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/lgbtq-donors
https://www.fda.gov/biologicsbloodvaccines/bloodbloodproducts/questionsaboutblood/ucm108186.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment