Thursday, November 9, 2017

Effects of Pot on Adolesence

INTRO

As kids, we were taught that drugs were the scourge of society. Remeber the saying "Just say no" or the famous "What Would Jesus Do"? I never really believed that those worked. Fast forward a decade and drugs have become popular through the social media and pop culture.

I don't have anything against marijuana, I believe that in some cases there are real medical benefits from marijuana besides getting high. but what I have a problem with is open use of it especially in neighborhoods and parks. I'm not saying that the use of weed is evil. There are real medical studies that counter the belief of weed being dangerous.

 The use of weed can be acceptable when used in moderation. I'm gonna be honest my family lives literally down the street from a known drug house. It' been raided multiple times and still manages to attract customers. I can verify because on a daily basis you can always count on someone parked across the street toe smoking. my concern isn't with these people smoking pot but I'm always concerned when I see parents condone smoking especially when kids are present. I always worry about the effect that this behavior has.

EVIDENCE

According to an article written in 2009 called "Impact of Marijuana on Children and Adolescence" goes over five points that explain the effect marijuana could have on kids.
1. Brain Development
    In regard to brain development, the article says that excessive exposure to cannabis during early phases of development has the ability to stunt the normal development of the chemicals our brain produces adrenaline and dopamine.
2. Marijuana Addiction
    It has been proven that children and adolescents can become more addicted faster and more often than adults. within the first two years of smoking the article claims that 17% of thirteen-year-olds can become addicted.
3. Impact on Brain Function
    it's stated that due to continuous smoking (at least over 100 times) most adolescents leave school 5.8 times more often and apply to college 3.3 times less than an adolescent who hasn't smoked.
4. Impact on Brain Structure
    Adolescents who smoke has brain tissue volume.The cerebellum which is important for fine motor skills is enlarged in pot smokers and the frontal cortex is shown to be thinner. it was also found that the thinner the cortex was the more impulsive an adolescent smoker could be.
5. Effects on Emotions and Reasoning
    An adolescent who smokes is at a greater risk to have a poor reasoning and emotions because the adolescent brain is still developing and not only is their brain developing but adolescent develop a sense of identity and values required for adulthood. Smokers who started as adolescents have been revealed to have less cognitave abilities and poor memory.

INTERVIEWS

For my interviews, I asked people who lived in my surrounding neighborhood who have witnessed the same strangers smoking. I asked them their opinions on the subject of marijuana, how they felt about living near a drug house, and how they feel knowing there are kids who have parents who condone smoking. I had audio files but they wouldn't upload to blogger so I'm copying them to text.

Interview 1
Name: Sal Gaudianco
Occupation: Retired

Q1: Whats your opinion of marijuana?
        even though its been legalized I still feel that it is a dangerous drug that shouldn't be taken lightly. I feel since the Federal Gov who in my opinion is the highest level of authority then in this case it is a drug that should be seen as dangerous.

Q2: How do you feel knowing that you live near a drug house?
       I don't like that they live here. I feel that them being here brings out more criminal activity that could affect me.

Q3: How do you feel knowing that there are kids who are being exposed to the drug through their parents and strangers? 
        It starts with the parents. If they condone or participate in the drug then there is no way they can prevent their kids from smoking.

Interview 2
Name: Richard Palacio
Occupation: Unknown

Q1: How do you feel about these stranger parking in front of you residence to take drugs? 
       I have mixed feelings about it. The legality of what they are dong has always been a concern of mine.

Q2: How do you feel about the drug house? 
       It bothers me a lot. it tends to bring some shady people to nice neighbor hoods and it makes you worry about leaving your house. you'll never know when someone could turn to burglary.

Interview 3
Name: Deonne Cullen
Occupation: Nurse

Q1: Whats your opinion about the drug?
        It depends on the purpose of usage and whether the user is taking it in moderation.

Q2: Have you ever notice odd cars parked around your home?
        Living against the riverbed there are always suspicious cars parked here that i don't really appreciate having here. I know on occasion it is because of drug use.

Q3: How do you feel about parents who use in front of their kids?
        I don't condone it at all.

SOURCES
https://www.csam-asam.org/sites/default/files/impact_of_marijuana_on_children_and_adolescents.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment