Monday, November 6, 2017

Daisy Contreras: Body Positivity

                                         Body Positivity 

                                                    By Daisy Contreras

"Plus-size model" Ashley Graham has been representing plus girls all over the world and has conquered so many obstacles, its inspiring to see how confident she is as well as everything she has accomplished. 

Body positivity is a major social issue in society nowadays because the number on the scale nor the size of your clothes should determine your happiness. Everyone should feel beautiful in their own skin and not care about what other people have to say. 

EVERYONE FEELS INSECURE SOMETIMES.. 

          "Sonya Renee Taylor has complicated feelings about the NBC series, “This Is Us". She was thrilled to see that one of the show’s main plotlines centered on Kate, a woman whose complex relationships with family, food, and love are exquisitely portrayed by Chrissy Metz. Nothing like that had been produced – would even have been possible – in the 1980s, when Ms. Taylor was growing up. “There were not bodies that looked like mine on television,” she says.  Taylor’s conflicted reaction to Kate’s character speaks to a broader, but equally discordant, discourse around body and beauty norms, and the portrayal of weight in Hollywood. There’s no doubt that film and TV have begun to respond to audiences’ desire for characters, especially female characters, larger than a size zero – or six or 12."

Can Hollywood learn to tell stories about women above a size 4?
Mendoza, JessicaAuthor Information. The Christian Science Monitor; Boston, Mass. [Boston, Mass]15 Sep 2017.

"Body satisfaction is related to so many aspects of people's lives," he said. "People who feel worse about their bodies are more likely to engage in obsessive exercise behavior, crash dieting and protein supplement abuse. People who are more anxious about their appearance will become more anxious overall and are more likely to develop depression. And feeling really negatively about your body can cause social withdrawal and discomfort on the dating market.
"There are wide-ranging effects to negative body image."

Body-image studies explore the source of much of our anxiety
Caitlin Yoshiko Kandil. TCA Regional News; Chicago [Chicago]27 Mar 2016.

TIME TO GET PERSONAL...

I have always felt bigger and "fatter" than everyone else. Growing up I found happiness in food and thought I played sports and exercised daily, I was still always bigger. Being a size 12 does have its insecurities but I am so happy in my own skin. I enjoy having big thighs and bigger hips. I feel like no one else has the same body as me and though my legs and stomach jiggle when i walk or run, I embrace it and love my body. I chose to do this topic because I constantly see all over social media that plus-size models embrace their curves and back fat and use hashtags like #effyourbeautystandards and #thickthighssaveslives. I feel it is so important that everyone feel confident in their own skin, because Victorias secret models are unrealistic for the average woman. 

 Vanessa Lopez is all for body positivity. She feels that women are to harsh on themselves and she wants to take a stand by expressing body positivity to all of her fellow female acquaintances. Vanessa loves her figure and regularly plays soccer because she loves having tone legs. 

 Karla Pena has traveled all over the world and says she appreciates all the different people has she meant. She believes beauty comes from within the heart and no one has the right to judge another person until they have been in their own shoes. Karla appreciates her curves and embraces that every woman should love themselves no matter what. 

Lorena Cerda is a student at Cal State LA and has been dancing ever since she was able to walk. She says she does not have the average "petite" dancer body but that does not stop her from showing off her amazing dance skills. Lorena is all for body positivity as she believes there are no obstacles that can stop you from doing what you love. 

Body positivity is so important to society and the community because there is no perfect body so no one should feel insecure for having their unique and beautiful bodies. I feel effected by the importance of body positivity because I am not a size 2 and my thighs touch when I walk but I love it so much because it is what makes me. I am too much brains and have too much self-love to let others bring me down because I know my worth.



 Buzzfeed is the best place to go when you are feeling down, they have articles and the hard cold truth about everything that will have everyone saying "LITERALLY ME". I came across this picture on their blog and it stood out to me because its so true. Two people live the same lifestyle and have the same health habits, but could be completely different sizes. Every body is different and no matter how many days one goes to the gym, your body with react however it wants, and thats fine. 

 Body positivity is a social issue that should not even be a social issue. There are so many other things that are going on around the world that need more attention and serious help but it is important. Everyone should be happy in their own skin, whether your size 0 or size 20. Self-love is the key to true happiness and I believe if we all look in the mirror and smile at our lumps and surves, we will all be a happier and better community. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment