Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Birth Control Vanessa Antalan

Be Responsible, Be Comfortable, and Carry On

RESEARCH


  • What is birth control?
  • Birth control is designated to prevent pregnancy. 50% of pregnancies are unplanned and 90% of abortions result from unplanned pregnancies. Providing birth control for free reduces unplanned pregnancies and abortions by an average of 70%. Birth control does not only prevent pregnancy, but there are many other beneficial factors from using birth control. Birth control pills improve acne because it contains the hormones, estrogen and progesterone, in which the increase of these hormones reduces the amount of the hormone, androgens, that controls the production of sebum to cause acne. A doctor has said within 6 months, 90% of girls’ skin issues adequately improve. There are many methods of birth control that can cater to anyone. There are birth control monthly pills, condoms, implants, plan b pills, shot, and patches. The combination pill, in particular, can reduce or prevent bone thinning, cysts in the breasts and ovaries, endometrial and ovarian cancers, serious infections in the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus, anemia, and premenstrual syndrome.
    Image result for planned parenthood 
  • Where can you get birth control?
  • You can go to your primary doctor and ask them to provide you a prescription for any reason of acne or period regulation. However, Planned Parenthood is a place where many people can have easy access to birth control. They offer many services other than prescribing birth control, they provide STD testing, abortions and accurate pregnancy testing. You can easily set up an appointment or walk-in without an appointment and get what you need within the same day.









PERSONAL



  • Image result for acne
    Image result for pubertyIn middle school, I was going through puberty, I started getting acne and got my period for the first time. I tried many methods to diminish my pimples and acne but it only started to get worse as I went to high school. I had pimples all over my face that made me feel ugly and disgusting, while my friends had perfectly clear skin. Then I discovered birth control pills, I was honestly shocked when I found out that this could possibly help me. After I tried it for just a week, I started to see improvement in my skin. I am 20 now and my skin has never looked better. Birth control also helped me to regulate my period. I was very athletic as a kid and still am now. So my period would be very abnormal. I would get my period really early or late and they would last for only 3 days one time and 7 days another time. However, when I started birth control, I was able to predict my period and know how long it would last. As I got older, I got into sexual activity with my boyfriend. Since I was on birth control I felt safe that I was protecting and saving myself for the consequences of pregnancy. At first, I felt that people would judge me for using birth control because they would know that I am sexually active. But then I started to not care what people think because I am using it for my body to make me feel better about myself and to be responsible. It was more important to me to prevent pregnancy than to listen to other people’s negative opinions. Birth control makes me feel comfortable and that’s all that matters. I feel like I don’t have to worry as much because of the benefits birth control has and I want everyone else to feel the same way when using it.

  • Image result for pregnancy father




    Many people stereotype the use of birth control. People instantly think that if you’re taking birth control, you’re sexually active, in which that is not always the case. Birth control is important to me because as a young adult, I use it to stabilize my body and hormones and prevent pregnancy. It is also important to members of my community to prevent acne, menstruation, and to practice safe sex. Birth control decreases the number of abortions, children up for adoption, and children in foster care.  People should not be afraid or feel ashamed to use birth control because it is for good and responsible health reasons. We are all human, therefore we all have body issues and endure sexual activity. It’s very important to inform people about birth control not just in my community, but everyone around the world, especially in schools. People don’t usually think boys or men are associated with birth control and could care less about it because they can’t get pregnant. But they should be informed about it to prevent pregnancy otherwise they are held responsible as a parent of the child. People need to know that for sexual purposes, their partner is using birth control if they are not looking forward to having a child. It’s important to be responsible for your actions that may lead to consequences, be comfortable in your own body, and carry on with your life no matter what others may think about you.


MEMBERS OF MY COMMUNITY

  • Kathlyn Doma
  • Age: 20
  • Undergraduate student at California State University of Northridge

  • “I use birth control because when I first started getting my period, it was painful so I had to resort other methods. My period affected me pretty bad physically to the point I couldn’t go to school. It was something that ran in my family in which I wasn’t able to change, but birth control made it change. Birth control is important to me because it changed the dynamics of my everyday life.”
 

Andrea Indiongco

Age:18

Pasadena Community College Student

“I feel protected with birth control. I’m glad birth control exists because I wouldn’t feel comfortable without it. ”










Lucian Tiongco
Age: 23
Alumni of California State University of Northridge

“I advocate people to use birth control. I tell my friends to always have a condom on them because you never know what could happen. And you don't know if your parternDon’t make irresponsible decisions because you’ll soon regret it.”









Resources:


https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/access-to-free-birth-control-reduces-abortion-rates/
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/birth-control-acne

No comments:

Post a Comment