Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Gang Members Effecting Our Communities



Gang Members Effecting Our Communities 
by Jasmin Cruz 

        Gangs are still living among communities and are taking over innocent lives and keeping them from having a safe and normal life. Gangs think they are cool or they try or think it is a quick way to earn money. Gangs effect people lives forever and maybe even tear families apart. People in my community cannot wear certain colors nor walk around the streets at night. Living in fear of being robbed, hurt, and/or maybe even get one’s life taken away.
     Gangs try to take over our “property” as they say and make it seem like they own them by tagging everywhere. They are consuming our community and taking children from schools getting them to join gangs and ruining lives. Business and schools are tagged on and rivalry gangs come along and tag over that and sometimes even rob the stores or destroy them.
Research: 
Gangs are effecting communities all over the United States. According to the National Youth Gang Center “In two cities, Los Angeles and Chicago—arguably the most gang-populated cities in the United States—over half of the combined nearly 1,000 homicides reported in 2004 were attributed to gangs”. Gang members are taking lives away from families. Gangs are taking over not just my community but many others sadly. People are living in fear and the community is not getting any better.
Even when people think they are free from gangs somehow, they still take control of one’s life. According to Los Angeles Police Department “Gang members not killed or seriously injured often develop patterns of alcohol and narcotics abuse, and extensive police records that will limit their employment opportunities”. People are stuck because our community is controlled by gangs. People cannot just move on and make themselves better and even if they do they are prone to falling back in. People living in the community are prone to this unless they move or just really dedicate themselves to something productive. Not everyone can dedicate themselves to something productive due to gangs running the community. 
Why is this issue not big enough for a dramatic change? Gangs are effecting not just our community but the country the worse possible way it is costing the government money. According to Youth “gang involvement costs local, state, and federal governments a substantial amount of money in prevention, response, incarceration, and rehabilitation efforts. It has been estimated that overall crime in the U.S. costs taxpayers $655 billion annually…” People are losing money from this issue instead of resolving it. People living in the community are losing family members and having to pay for medical bills for gang related consequences. 
Personal: 
          Every day in my community people live in fear especially me because I live next door to a house that sells drugs and weapons. People including me cannot walk their own street without being afraid of being robbed or maybe even injured or worse killed. Recently it has gotten really bad where I was walking down my own block during the day and a truck rolled by next to me and they were asking me to get in the truck. I did not listen and kept walking and I just remember hearing their seatbelts click and I just ran into the nearest store and waited in there for roughly thirty minutes to an hour and then walked home.

           Another event that had happened to me was waiting outside on my porch for my boyfriend to come back from getting something from the car late at night. He had parked down the block and I had gotten too cold to wait for him anymore so I went inside the house and closed the door and all I remember hearing is my name in the distance. I saw my boyfriend running toward my house and told me to lock the door and turn off all the lights. He was out of breath but was able to tell me what happened. He said a car drove near him and he had made eye contact with the driver and the car started to back up and two men came out and asked him “where was he from" and my boyfriend is not part of a gang and they did not believe him and told him to give them his phone, gold chain necklace, and his money. One of the men took out a knife and my boyfriend just pushed him down and was able to push the knife out of his hand and started running and screaming my name. The men were in the car and driving up and down my street. They eventually got out of their car and started going near houses looking for my boyfriend. We just stayed quiet and kept the lights off and just waited until they were gone.
          The most recent event that has happened was when there were police officers surrounding the whole block and the next street over. There was a helicopter over my next door neighbor’s house. Police officers and dogs were searching the house for drugs and weapons. We were not allowed to leave our homes for hours. The officers asked us questions about them and if we noticed anything suspicious about them of course we could not had answer truthful because we are scared for our lives. We just try to ignore it but somedays it is really hard.

Carlos C.
He was in a gang when he was younger and his life changed forever. He was trying to get out of his gang and by doing so his gang members threw him off a building and now he is physically handicapped and will never walk again.
Teressa Reyes.
She takes care of one of her gang member son. He has put her in debt and she has many fights within her immediate family to help her pay for her sons debt.
Eloy Reyes.
He lived a life where gangs just wanted to consume him. He felt lost and in fear but was able to stay away from joining a gang but it still effected his family. They are in debt because his half-brother is in gangs and drugs and his mother keeps taking care of him.They come to him for help financially but it is taking a toll on him and his other brothers and sisters.
Reference:

No comments:

Post a Comment