Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Intimate Partner Violence

INTIMATE PARTNER VIOLENCE

BY: KATHY AVECHUCO

WHAT IS INTIMATE PARTNER VIOLENCE? (IPV)

domestic violence by a current/former partner in an intimate relationship against the other partner.


EXAMPLES OF IPV

Intimate partner violence by definition is any sort of abuse that one partner implements on their partner. This can be for current or past partners. Any form of abuse is not acceptable. Those that are victims suffer from a range of different types of abuse. Abuse can be seen in the forms of physical, sexual, emotional, financial, and verbal abuse. Abuse can also be forms of stalking, psychological harm, threats, isolation, and controlling their partner. 


WHY DO VICTIMS STAY? 

The safest option isn't always to escape the abuser. The reasoning behind why victims choose to stay with their abusers ranges due to many factors. One main reason is because of fear. Fear, that the abuser can become more violent potentially killing them and/or their kids. Other reasons include having little to no support system, their financial situation, religious and cultural beliefs of partnership, even financial issues to those who can't afford a divorce. 

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT TO ME?

IPV is important to me because feeling stuck in an abusive relationship should not be normalized. Being stuck in an environment where you have no voice and no freedom is toxic and damaging to one's health and well-being. Many times, IPV comes in the form of gaslighting and manipulation in which I have fallen victim to without even knowing. I didn't know that gaslighting was even a thing. Although I wasn't physically nor sexually abused, I knew that I was in the middle of an unhealthy relationship. Constantly being controlled as to who I can interact with, being compared to other girls and what I can post online, all meanwhile being manipulated into thinking I needed to reserve myself for only my partner. I felt overpowered and eventually thought less of myself leading to poor self-esteem and self-hatred. Other factors such as guilt and fear was why I stayed. Leaving the relationship was difficult because I felt unworthy of myself, however ever since I have left I gained back my self-confidence and feel worthy of myself. 

STATS/FACTS
  • 1/4 women and 1/10 men have experienced IPV in their lifetime.
  • 43 million women and 38 million men have experienced psychological harm by their partner.
  • About 24 people per minute are victims of rape, physical violence, or stalking.
  • About 1/5 women and 1/71 men have been raped in their lifetime.
  • IPV affects more than 12 million people a year.
  • Females ages 18-24 and 25-34 experience the highest rates of IPV.
  • 1/3 college women say they have been in an abusive relationship. 
  • 30-60% of the IPV abusers also abused children in the household. 
PREVENTION
  • Teaching safe and healthy relationships at a young age 
  • Bystander empowerment and skills
  • Healthy relationship programs
  • Support programs for survivors
  • Education and Screening programs


RESOURCES:

National Dating Abuse Helpline: 1-866-331-9474
National Child Abuse Hotline/Childhelp: 1-800-422-4453
National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
National Center for Victims of Crime: 1-202-467-8700




SOURCES



















No comments:

Post a Comment