Monday, April 22, 2019

Pediatric Obesity and Fitness

Pediatric Obesity and Fitness

By Eric Jonathan Lee


                                         Introduction

Children and young adults are the future of the world. Obesity is a social issue that is affecting those around the world by the millions and children are no exception. This issue in children is linked to future risk of chronic disease including cardiovascular, negative association with bone health, self esteem, poor body composition, type II diabetes, as well as health and fitness. There is strong evidence which links youth who struggle with obesity to having reduced muscular fitness compared to the leaner.

Infographic with childhood obesity information

By The Numbers

In the last 40 years the number of school-age children struggling with obesity has risen by over ten times the amount. As of 2016, that number raised from 11 million to over 124 million. Along with that number, an estimated 216 million were classified to be overweight, but not obese. The numbers show that obesity is no longer just something affecting some, but it is a widespread disease that needs to be handled in such. The negatives and poor health consequences associated with obesity are well documented and without education and action, change will never happen.

Personal


Health and fitness to me is more than a choice, but a lifestyle. We are born with only one body, one life to live, only one chance, so I strive to take care of it and make it the best I can be. Looking good while feel good whether it be by losing body fat and adding muscle is very important to me. This lifestyle is not just about the life you live, but the life you gain. All around me people struggle with their weight and health issues and as a Kinesiology major at California State University of Los Angeles, I feel a sort of obligation to help my friends, family, and community. I believe that what I learn can and should be applied for the betterment of the world. I believe children are the future and in order to make change, one must start at the roots.

Interviews


Image may contain: Jeremy Huang

Physical fitness helps me to become healthier and stronger. Without it, I probably would not be capable to do many things that involves lifting heavy things to help a friend or family. It helps me to become disciplined to make good choices on eating habits if you want a healthier body.



- Jeremy Huang


Image may contain: 1 person, selfie and closeup

Fitness, can be something that many just do for the looks, yeah gains are important, but it has truly changed my life for the better. The gym is my happy place, all I got to do is put my earphones on and start my workout and bam like that I feel so much better. They do say if it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you, and these past 2 years definitely have been, but my fitness journey just continues.

- Vanessa Ramirez


Image may contain: Johnson Huynh, smiling, standing

Working out and living a healthy lifestyle has been very benefiting for my life. I have lost an enormous amount of weight since my freshman year and began to gain confidence in myself.

- Johnson Huynh



To me fitness is a hobby that is used to improve people's lives. It is an easy and fun way for people to improve athletically and hopefully apply it to prevent injuries or rehab after any injury. I was self motivated because as a kid I was fat and I wasn't that athletic, but after I got into fitness, I became very athletic in 3 sports.

- Sergio Jacinto


References


Sharma, D., Pandita, D., Pawar, S., & Kaul, A. (2016, March 15). [Full text] Childhood obesity: Prevention is better than cure | DMSO. Retrieved from https://www.dovepress.com/childhood-obesity-prevention-is-better-than-cure-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-DMSO

Thivel D, Ring-Dimitriou S, Weghuber D, Frelut M, -L, O'Malley G: Muscle Strength and Fitness in Pediatric Obesity: a Systematic Review from the European Childhood Obesity Group. Obes Facts 2016;9:52-63. doi: 10.1159/000443687

Childhood Obesity. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.worldobesity.org/what-we-do/our-policy-priorities/childhood-obesity

No comments:

Post a Comment