Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Immigration Today

Immigration is a topic that affected myself for past 10 years. Many people with different circumstances come to United States to find a better and stable life. According to department of homeland security in 2017 there were 12.1 Million unauthorized immigrants living in United States.
According to state department in 2018 533,557 immigration visa was issued and above 9 million non immigrant visa was also issued. This issue is related to us because we live in an incoming immigrant society where we interact with these people on daily bases.

These are some affect of immigration I found  through reading two article immigration in United States by By Faye Hipsman, Doris Meissner and How Immigration Became So Controversial by Derek Thompson.

A) More Labor : It can has a positive and negative affect one of the positive affects are growth in economy because there is more human resource  but it has a positive affect which can  make the employment for locals harder because of the new competitor in the labor force.

B) The new immigrant need more social accommodation such as houses, schools, hospital and etc.

C) New people with new background and culture will develop new form of society.

I recently got affected by new immigration policy, As an international student I could always ask my family member come and visit me but after new policy there is no new visitor visa for Iranian due to political tension between two countries. This is a hard time for me because I need to take care of myself more if something happen to me my family do not have access to me. The immigrants are so controversial and each of them has a story and problem which pushed them to immigrate.

Here I interviewed two immigrant with different type of background but these are 2 in about 15 million that willing to stay in United States.


   

Hector Gonzales came here after a cartel in south Mexico killed his father he came here 15 years ago and worked in different field undocumented but he married 4 years ago and now he has a U.S born son but because he got his status changed after 11 years he could not go to school and pursue his dream but he is happy because he created a better life for his wife and his kid.

 

Ali Akbar came here 6 years ago as a refugee. He detained for 6 years in Iranian prison for converting from Islam to christian. He ran from his country with no document granted to stay in United States till court decide about his situation. He has a big dream to become a chef well known but he does not get to do what he wants because he does not have security till court decide about his case. The new government cancel their health insurance so he can not use doctor unless he pays a huge bill for each visit. He has a 2 years old daughter who is a U.S born citizen.


Now I told these two stories to the people in my community and ask them If they affected by immigration policies and their personal statement.



" Am I got affected? mmm yes . I married to an american lady 4 years ago and we have a happy life. I am blessed because I finished my master degree two years ago and I am working for Boeing. My parents got their immigration visa approved but they can not get the visa because of new immigration law"- Mohammad Amin Azad






















" I was born in Florida. My father was an immigrant but he never told us his full story. I still have relative back in my home country that I have never visited them. My father immigration made a new life for me." -Shayan Khorasani


Personal Statement: I came to United States back in 2011, I studied hard and got my associate degree which was really hard for me as an ESL student. I still hold my nonimmigrant visa but the new policies changes my life on daily bases. I am glad I could reach this high on my education journey and I would like to thank all the member of the american society that helped me and welcomed me in their community.


Citation 
http://budgetmodel.wharton.upenn.edu/issues/2016/1/27/the-effects-of-immigration-on-the-united-states-economy
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2018AnnualReport/FY18AnnualReport%20-%20TableI.pdf
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/Unauthorized%20Immigrant%20Population%20Estimates%20in%20the%20US%20January%202014_1.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment