Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Mental Health Affecting College Students- Karina Amor


What is Mental Health? 


Image result for mental healthMental Health can be defined as a state of well-being in which an individual realizes their own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively, and is able to make a contribution to their community. It is about enhancing competencies of individuals and communities and enabling them to achieve their goals. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood. It should be a concern for all of us, rather than only for those who suffer from a mental disorder(s). Mental health problems affect society as a whole, and not just a small percentage. Unfortunately, mental health and mental disorders are not given the same importance as physical health. 





Why is it important?

Image result for mental health       
Mental health is important because it can help you to :


  • Cope with the stresses of life
  • Be physically healthy
  • Have good relationships
  • Work productively

Mental Illnesses are serious disorders that can affect your thinking, mood, and behavior. They may be temporary or long-lasting. They can affect your ability to relate to others and function each day. Mental disorders are common; more than half of all Americans will be diagnosed with a mental disorder at some point in their life. Whether it be a high student or college student, each person can develop a mental disorder in a matter of a year or less. Stressful situation can lead to a person falling into depression or developing anxiety. Do not be discourage! People with mental health problems can get better, and many of them recover completely.



Many people experience the first symptoms of depression during their college years. Unfortunately, many college students who have depression aren’t getting the help they need. They may not know where to go for help, or they may believe that treatment won’t help. Others don’t get help because they think their symptoms are just part of the typical stress of college, or they worry about being judged if they seek mental health care.

Image result for mental health in college students facts Depression is a common but serious mental illness typically marked by sad or anxious feelings. In 2009, the American College Health Association found that nearly 30 percent of college students reported feeling “so depressed that it was difficult to function” at some time in the past year. Depression can affect the students' academic performance in college. Studies suggest that college students who have depression are more likely to smoke. But students with depression, especially women, are more likely to drink to get drunk and experience problems related to alcohol abuse, such as engaging in unsafe sex. 

Most colleges provide mental health services through counseling centers, student health centers, or both. Most colleges have more information on their website for students to check out. For example, the CAPS program (Counseling and Psychological Services) provides CSULA students ten free counseling sessions every semester. Some counseling centers provide short-term or long-term counseling or psychotherapy, also called talk therapy. These centers may also suggest students to attend mental health workshops hosted by CSULA students. Our student center, like others, provides basic health care services to students at little or no cost. If your college does not provide the mental health care you need, your insurance may cover additional mental health services. Many college students have insurance through their colleges, parents, or employers. 



Why does it matter to YOU?

As a college student, we begin a new journey in our lives and just adjusting alone is a big change. Whether it be a new school or a new home, there are various factors that contribute to our mental health. Personally, I was struggling with adjusting. At the age of 18 years old I was diagnosed with ovarian failure and was told that my chances of having children were cut slim. At the moment, it did not hit me but when I did get into a relationship, it hit me hard. I hit rock bottom during my fourth year of college and did not know what was wrong. I physically felt tired and weak, but my mind was at a dark place. There were days where I did not go out and skipped school because I developed social anxiety from being indoors a month straight. Three months passed and I knew I was not myself and had no motivation to help myself. I had to get help... but I was scared. I was afraid of people might think of me, what my family would think of me. With the help of my boyfriend, and loved ones I was able to get the help I needed. I began seeing a therapist every Tuesday and was clinically diagnosed with moderate depression. With that, I began a trial of antidepressants and began focusing on my overall health. I chose this path because I knew it was what I needed to do.

A year later, my mental health is better. I am in a better place and accepting of my physical struggles. I began to be independent again and did my own errands. I cherish my own life more than ever and do things for myself. Self love is one thing I began to cherish throughout my journey. Mental health is just as important as your physical health. Without the right mindset, you can't tackle what needs to be done. My advice to improving your mental health is: 

1) Vent. Talk to someone, anyone. If you feel stressed or bothered, express your concerns. Keeping things bottled up only does more damage to your mental well-being. If you don't feel comfortable with your friend, seek professional help. You are not crazy!
2) Keep yourself busy. If you are physically occupied, then your mind is focusing on that as well. Read a book, take a walk, go hiking... It helps you reevaluate things and not overthink about what you could be doing. 
3) Self love. Do what you want at your own time. Do not things you do not want to do. Your time is important and you deserve to take care of yourself first. 


Community Statements:

"I believe mental health affects everyone. I don't feel like it is a severe problem, but it is something I need stay on top of. It is important to check in on myself once in a while to make sure Im doing alright." - David S. 

"Mental health is something big. Even if you don't experience it, I think you should always be mindful of it. A big step to tackling mental health is taking care of yourself. Personally, I haven't been through anything alarming, but I know my mental health is important. You just gotta lookout for yourself. #selfcare" - Bryan S. 

"As someone who has suffered from mental heath issues I believe that people should be knowledgeable in how to handle these issues and the resources available. Especially during college where many individuals have suffered some capacity of mental health issues." - Julio C. 

"Speaking up about mental health issues that are often seen as taboos can show that a new generation can shatter negative stereotypes. To be open about what a person's mental health status is one of many steps to help us overcome these problems that affect us."- Daniel P. 

"I think that mental health is important because it affects everyone on different levels. I think that many people are uninformed or don't understand the seriousness of mental health. Also I think that there is a negative stigma on mental health that should be eliminating because we need to understand that it affects everyone and we need to learn to cope with these issues rather than ignoring them." - Jennifer R. 

"Mental health is very important in a person's wellbeing. Taking the time to take care of yourself mentally really keeps you sane." - Francisco R. 

"It is imperative that we destigmatize the conversations revolving mental health. We also need to remind people that it is okay not to be okay."- Jocelyn V. 



References


Mental Health Guide-CollegeStats.org-.(n.d). Retrieved from https://collegestats.org/resources/mental-health-guide/

(n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/what-is-mental-illness
The Lancet Public Health, A bleak look at mental health in the Americas, The Lancet Public Health,
     Volume 4, Issue 2, 2019, Page e74, ISSN 2468-2667, https://doi.org/10.1016/S2468-                   
     (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468266719300076) 
United States Department of Health and Human Services. (2016). What is mental health?
      Retrieved from https://www.mentalhealth.gov/basics/what-is-mental-health/index.








1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I came across the image you used in your Mental Health blog. I am hoping you can tell me where you found that image or if you made it yourself. I am looking for a design to put on a Mental Health Awareness license plate. Thank you for your time. Caroline Wiseman

    ReplyDelete