Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Obesity





Image result for obesity
Obesity and how it affects our bodyImage result for say no to obesity

Obesity, what is it? How does it affect you?
Obesity is the increase of fat tissue, meaning, the body will begin to increase its weight due if we over eat, and consume unhealthy products. If the persons eating habits are not properly managed, it can cause serious health issues.

Research 
Obesity can very well come from anyone who doesn't take care of their food habits. However, the article, "evolutionary considerations on social status, eating behavior, and obesity", states that there's a higher chance for obesity in low social economic status (SES) people, and living in the United States.
Reasons:
1. Poorer food environment (non-healthy foods)

2. Financial cost of healthy foods

3. Advertisements (affordable food)

4. Adjusted to fast foods

Obesity is commonly know for over consuming excessive greasy foods, however, research shows there are other factors to obesity. There are three factors that influence obesity.
3 factors
1. Genetics: People who are affected with obesity due to having one or two obese parents. If both of the child's parents is obese, the likelihood of them transferring that heredity, increases by 25 percent.

Image result for genetic obesity




2. Metabolic: How fast or slow your food is processed. If it's fast, your chances of gaining weight are less; yet still there. If it's slow, chances are there's an increase in gaining weight. None of our bodies are equal, however it still has a toll and effect with what we consume. 

Image result for metabolism fast and slow



3. Lifestyle: OVEREATING!  it affects our bodies. If your lifestyle is consuming, "sugary, high-fat, refined foods, chances are you'll gain weight." Here we have two options. We are our own critiques. We can change for the better or we can keep consuming foods that do us danger. 
Image result for food lifestyle healthy vs unhealthy


Personal effect 
This social issue personally affects me because I have recently reached a point where I feel obese. I have never been the type of person who gains excessive weight because I try to stay fit. However, ever since high school I have focused my mind more on my future that it seems impossible to focus on my weight. Therefore, I chose the lifestyle to eat anything I enjoy or have time for even if it meant gaining weight and giving me symptoms like tired, or sad. I have been consuming a lot of unhealthy foods and it has began challenge my body. Typically, I have always ate a lot, however, I no longer exercise, therefore, my body is consuming various calories a day. Loosing weight isn't as easy as it sounds, due to also living in the Unites States, and coming from a low SES family/neighborhood. Organic foods can be pricy and money is tough at times so I end up buying unhealthy food because it's cheaper, it's closer to my house, and I end up saving money. Within a few months, I no longer fitted into my clothing, I no longer feel healthy, and I began anaylzing how I possible came this far and did nothing with this issue. Having nearby foods in my city, like McDonalds, king taco, wing stop, etc, has become the main problem. When things are nearby, it's hard to give up foods that my body has adjusted to.

Why did I chose this issue?
This issue is very important to me because I am affected by it, I see it a lot in my community, and I want people to understand that this industry doesn't care about our health, rather affect our health; especially SES people like me. We come from a low economic family who has a greater chance of health risks since there's many cheap foods near me and not enough health care access.
As someone who has always taken care of her weight, I also chose this issue because recently my city has been adding new fast foods, and it has taken a toll on how we the people react to it. Not only have I noticed the changes in my body but also the people around my city who I keep in touch with.

What can we do to prevent or stop this issue?
↬ prevent eating unhealthy foods at night (harder to burn calories since you will soon sleep)
↬eat three times a day
↬get out and exercise



      Interview Evidence
Question: Do you believe you are affected by this social issue? why so? Is there anything new with what you consume?
Answers
"I can say I am affected, simply because I am a food lover. Whenever I am hungry I don't typically analyze what I consume even though I know it is unhealthy. There are a lot of nearby fast food places that I consume from; one of them being "El Indio", where I usually get burritos. I do noticed an increase with my weight, but I typically bike to work, so I try to balance it off. I don't think I'm going to stop eating some of my favorite foods because I like them, but I do try to get exercise once in a while." -Luis Antonio R.
Before After 
                     





"I am definitely affected by this social issue because here in Maywood, there is a lot of unhealthy foods that are very close to my home. I don't really need a car to be able to reach to a fast food place because it is so close. I have gained a lot of weight since I moved here about a year ago. My eating habits have had an effect on my body and loosing weight is very hard."
-Martha C.
BeforeAfter 




References
Appetite. (2019). Evolutionary Considerations on Social Status, Eating Behavior, and Obesity,132(2019), 1-11. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2018.07.028


Care, S. H. (n.d.). Obesity Causes. Retrieved March 5, 2019, from https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-conditions/healthy-living/obesity/causes.html