Thursday, April 18, 2019

Georgina Lopez- Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence

also known as 

Intimate Partner Violence

✋πŸ’”


What is Domestic Violence?

Domestic Violence is occasionally called Intimate Partner Violence. It includes physical, sexual, or emotional abuse as well as sexual coercion and stalking by a current or former intimate partner. An intimate partner is a person with whom you have or had a close personal or sexual relationship. Intimate partner violence affects millions of women each year in the United States. 

Types of Domestic Violence




Signs of Domestic Violence

controls what you are doing

❌ checks your phone, email, or social networks without your permission

❌ forces you to have sex when you do not want to

❌ controls your birth control or insists that you get pregnant

❌ decides what you wear or eat or how you spend money

❌ prevents or discourages you from going to work or school or seeing your family or friends

❌ humiliates you on purpose in front of others 

❌ unfairly accuses you of being unfaithful 

❌ destroys your things 

❌ threatens to hurt you, your children, other loved ones, or your pets

❌ hurts you physically (hitting, beating, punching, pushing, kicking) including with a weapon

❌ blames you for his or her violent outbursts

❌ threatens to hurt herself or himself because of being upset with you

❌ threatens to report you to the authorities for imagined crimes 

❌ says things like, "If I cannot have you then no one can." 

*These are just some examples, but the list goes on.*


How common is domestic violence 
against women? 

πŸ™…  domestic or intimate partner violence is a very common type of violence against women

πŸ™… domestic or intimate partner violence happens in all types of relationships, including dating couples, married couples, same-sex couples, former or ex-couples, and couples who lives together but are not married

πŸ™… intimate partner violence happens more often among younger couples 

πŸ™… almost half of American Indian and Alaskan Native women, more than four in 10 African-American women, and more than one in three white and Hispanic women have experienced sexual or physical violence or stalking by their intimate partner

πŸ™… nearly 23 million women in the United States have been raped or experienced attempted rape in their lifetimes

πŸ™… more than 33 million women, including one in three African-American and white women and one in four Hispanic women have experienced unwanted sexual contact, other than rape, by an intimate partner

πŸ™… women who identify as lesbian experience as much or more physical and sexual violence as heterosexual women by an intimate partner 

πŸ™… women who identify as bisexual experience intimate partner violence more often than heterosexual women

If you need help:

Call The National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) Or, online go to DomesticShelters.org


Why is Domestic Violence 
an important social issue? 


Being raised in a household that Domestic Violence occurred, it is very important for me to continuing providing any help or support I can to every woman or man that is or has been a victim of Domestic Violence. 

As a little girl, I clearly recall my father abusing my mother. He threatened to kill her and keep her children away from her. Fortunately, my older sister (around age 7) was brave enough to call 911 and cops showed up quickly to arrest my father. Sometimes, I think if my older sister did not call the cops, what would have been the outcome? Luckily, the gun was recovered, but to hear that the gun had bullets, it was very hard to understand, why my father would continuously harm my mother? 

Before my father passed away in 2006 from cancer, he apologized to my mother in front of all of us (3 children) for all the years of abuse she endured. My mother continues to remind us that the best outcome of my parents' relationship was her children that she learned to really love and her children gave her the bravery to walk away. 

Looking through old photos, seeing my parents' postures, you clearly notice my father's power over my mother. 


Wedding Day (pregnant with her 2nd child, ME)

Family Party ( est:1990)

Community Members: 

Sonia Martinez (mother)

"After going through many years of Domestic Violence, I am finally able to encourage others to get help. When I hear other victim's going through the same things I did, it makes me feel happy they are even talking about, which is a big step."



Jeff Dunton

"Domestic violence is such a taboo topic that many don't feel comfortable expressing. I am glad we live in a new era where technlogy is advanced and there are many social media platforms where those affected can finally be heard." 



Evelyn Palacios

"I think it’s more aware than it has in the past which is good. I also think that it’s important that we have to support those who’ve been victims of domestic violence."

References




No comments:

Post a Comment