Thursday, April 18, 2019

Annisa Takari - Mental Health





 MENTAL HEALTH

Definition: A person's emotional and psychological well-being. 



The Stigma 


There is common stigma behind mental health where society believes that there are negative attitudes with people who has a mental health issue. According to the article, "Mental Health: Overcoming the Stigma of Mental Illness," it states that "stigma can lead to discrimination." This why people are afraid to address their mental health to anyone because they don't want to feel different from the others or be labeled as "crazy". With that state of mind, they just brush it off or try to deal with it on their own. They don't ask for help and it can get worse if the issue deepens. In "5 Surprising Mental Health Statistics," 46.4% of adults experience a mental illness in their lifetime and 50% of cases of mental health issues begin at the age of 14. 

I relate to this issue due to myself experiencing from mental health. It began when I started college, the stress of my major courses and work affected my mental health. Knowing my issue, I kept it to myself because I thought no one would understand me. When it started to worsen, I talked to a close friend and I realized that we had that same issue. It reflected that I was not alone about my mental health. Due to that realization, I wanted my community (Koreatown) to be aware about the issue around mental health. Breaking the stigma was my goal in my community. 


Opinions on Mental Health from the Community: 


"Mental health for me, is a state of mind. I don't talk about my mental health as much because my family doesn't talk about it and I feel like that I'm going to get judged." 
- Tony Arevalo

 
"When school or life stresses me out, it affects my mental health. I feel like there's no one to talk to about it and we don't enough resources in our community to address the issue."
- Geovany Oliva

"I tend to make my mental health a priority by talking about it with close friends and family. I see why people aren't comfortable talking about their mental health due to its stigma."





No comments:

Post a Comment