Monday, April 22, 2019

Lhea Lao- Racial discrimination


Racial Discrimination in 2019

Related image

What is Racial Discrimination?


Discrimination can be classified as treating an individual in an unfair way due to many things such as gender, race, or even sexual preference the list goes on. This specific blogpost will be focusing on racial discrimination, which is the unjust treatment on people based off of their ethnical background. Discrimination also comes in different forms as well:
  • Direct discrimination: The most obvious forms of discrimination in which an individual is discriminated purely because of who they are and are treated unfairly due to it. This form of discrimination actually goes against the Equality Act and can be 
  • Indirect discrimination: Harder to spot as it isn't as obvious as direct discrimination. This is the case where there is a common practice in society that acts against them. For these individuals the Equality Act is unfavorable towards them.
  • Victimization: This type of discrimination is one in which individuals are treated differently due to speaking up against discrimination or helping someone who has been discriminated against. 
  • Harassment: A type of discrimination in which unwanted behavior that makes an individual feel intimidated for being who they are.


Image result for discrimination typesImage result for discrimination types

Statistics

Pew Research Center did a study on Race in America in 2019, portraying survey results on how different people have been treated based off their ethnicity. Especially with Donald Trump being President, there has been an increase in how common it is for people to be discriminative towards other individuals of different ethnical backgrounds, as shown on the chart below. 

Most say it̢۪s now more common for people to express racist or racially insensitive views

The surveyors were also asked how often they have been put in different scenarios and how it made them feel, and often minorities have been put in uncomfortable situations in which they feel either misjudged, unsafe, or treated unfairly due to their race. 

Most blacks say someone has acted suspicious of them or as if they weren̢۪t smart

So Why Exactly Does Racial Discrimination Matter to Me?




Growing up Asian American, I've always been picked on especially from where I grew up. I was a minority in a ray of minorities, in my entire elementary school I could probably only name about 10-15 fellow Asian Americans. I've grew up hearing the usual "Ching-Chong-Ling-Long"'s as well as the "Why are your eyes so small", it was normal to me and nothing special. One would think that I would grow up disliking my race and culture but it only made me appreciate it more. Growing up surrounded by minorities and going to a very ethnically diverse college like California State University of Los Angeles has allowed me to appreciate and love all individuals no matter their race, sex, or age. However, some aren't as fortunate as I am and have been so racially discriminated to the point where they believe that everyone is out to get them because of their ethnic background.

I grew up in El Monte but moved to the city of San Gabriel when I was about a sophomore in High School. I love both cities and both play a key role in my life, however I recently moved out on my own to Temple City which is a few cities over. It was then that I picked up two jobs to support myself, however I came to realize just how different Temple City was in comparison to El Monte and San Gabriel although they're all so close to each other within a few miles. It wasn't until now that I realized just how much racial discrimination was around. After settling into my new home I ran into my neighbor who had parked behind me on the street parking. He, who happened to be white, got too close to my car when trying to back out so I honked to get his attention as he was driving a massive truck. After honking his car once, he stopped his car and got out of it, proceeded to walk up to my car window and call me a "chink" who didn't know how to drive and got back into his car and drove away. It was my first time experiencing any type of discrimination in a hateful manner since I was in elementary school. 

The next incident occurred while I was at work, in which I am a host at a sushi restaurant. I went about my typical date seating guests, and obviously there are favorite spots where guests enjoy sitting at which happens to be by the windows. I was in the middle of a helping out a guest and was already walking towards the last window seat and it just so happens that this middle aged man was waving me down because he wanted that seat. The customer in front of me obviously came first, and I was already in the process of me seating them that it made no sense for me to stop what I was doing to help him as it wasn't right to the customers in front of me. Well it just so happened that the customers I helped were also Asian, and the upset middle aged man who happened to be middle eastern went on to call me a racist. He, without any evidence except this miscommunication, took it upon himself to refer to me as racist and discriminating against his kind. Now once again, I love everyone no matter their race, age, or sex. My boyfriend happens to be middle eastern and it upset me that he specifically said that I am acting hateful towards his kind. He demanded that the manager fire me because of my "racist beliefs" and shocked beyond belief how easily he had exploded on me. I should have been upset but instead I felt pity in him because it just goes to show how much discrimination he has dealt with as a person that he feels as though everyone is out to get him due to his race. Which is why I want to bring more awareness to this matter, because I feel as though people often forget that this is a thing, either that or they refuse to believe that racial discrimination is still very much alive. 


Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people standing
Shane Davis pictured in the middle

Shane Davis

"Im a student at CSULA and often my skin color is made into a joke by friends light heartedly, like 'Oh its dark, Shane where did you go?' and of course I don't want to make it awkward so I laugh along. Or there will be instances in which I actually find it funny so I will laugh. But there have been times where the jokes get tiring and at that point it just hits home a bit too hard" 

Melodie Martinez pictured above
Melodie Martinez

"I once tried to move into this house located on Temple City Blvd. and before I could even say my name the first question he asked me was, 'What ethnicity are you?'. I followed with hispanic, and instantly got denied without him meeting me. I then found out that apparently home renters especially asians don't rent out to hispanics in fear that they may dirty up the house. I was upset at first but at the end of the day, its their loss on money and the house I'm at now the land lords are very friendly." 

Related image

References



  • Horowitz, Juliana Menasce, et al. “Views on Race in America 2019.” Pew Research Center's Social & Demographic Trends Project, Pew Research Center's Social & Demographic Trends Project, 9 Apr. 2019, www.pewsocialtrends.org/2019/04/09/race-in-america-2019/.
  • “Poll: 64 Percent of Americans Say Racism Remains a Major Problem.” NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/poll-64-percent-americans-say-racism-remains-major-problem-n877536.
  • “What Are the Different Types of Discrimination?” Citizens Advice, www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/what-are-the-different-types-of-discrimination/.






No comments:

Post a Comment