Monday, November 7, 2022

Misinformation in Science

Misinformation "can be broadly defined as information that is incorrect, possibly by accident. Disinformation has sometimes been used to denote a specific type of misinformation that is intentionally false." 1(D. Scheufele and N. Krause)

For the purpose of this blog, I will define misinformation as information that is incorrect or false - for simplicity. 




"The repercussions are extensive. Without reliable and accurate sources of information, we cannot hope to halt climate change, make reasoned democratic decisions, or control a global pandemic.(J. West and C. Bergstrom)

This quote perfectly explains why correcting and disputing misinformation is essential. If there is too much misinformation, there will be no significant progress. 





This figure shows the rise of the term fake news used in conversation. We can see that it has risen exponentially. The public has become more aware of false information but struggles to differentiate the incorrect and correct facts.  


There is a big issue with scientific misinformation: the public can get confused about what is real. It directly affects me because it affects the people I care about. Fortunately, I am pursuing a science major. I have learned the skills to detect what is false, and I am getting my sources from professors and primary articles. Therefore, I can teach most of my family members and friends when they are not adequately informed.

Additionally, they mustn't feel ashamed because it is not their fault. Sometimes, I believe the misinformation, and it takes me a while to find the correct facts. Occasionally, we would talk about a topic, and they will bring up false information they had read. While generally, it is not a big issue, it can be when it revolves around health, where they may not want to get a vaccine because it may cause autism or because it is fake, when that is not the case.

I choose this issue because it is an issue that is not talked about often except in my academic setting. I believe it is essential to inform the public so they become aware, look for the misinformation, and dispute it so that the public will not be confused. Additionally, as society becomes more advanced, there will be many articles and new jargon that the public will be confused and the public will believe false information. Therefore, it is easier to accept new changes if there is less incorrect information. 


Matthew Carbajal

"As a member of the post-bac biotechnology program here on campus, I truly feel insulted when people do not believe in science. Occasionally, non-science believers will make me feel that the work I put into completing my degree was worthless and purely fiction. I believe that misinformation in science is detrimental to all those in the healthcare and research communities, and those that spread false information can negatively impact scientific progress."


Sources:

    Articles:

1. https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1805871115#abstract

2. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8054004/

    Picture: https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/rothschild-project-ratio/

    Figure 1: https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1805871115

No comments:

Post a Comment