Monday, November 7, 2022

Gun Violence in LA

 Gun Violence In LA by Ivan Flores

Step 1: Research 


Step 2: Personal 

Gun violence is a severe issue in California, but this post will focus on LA specifically. LA is known for having high rates of gun violence throughout the years, and it is a growing concern. The social issue of gun violence is a significant concern in my community because it affects everyone around me. There have been situations where my family and friends have been directly involved in gun violence. The article "Homicides in Los Angeles reach the highest level in 15 years during 1st half of 2022: Report" mentions how 77 percent of homicides committed in LA are done using a firearm. In recent years, it has been the highest gun violence in Los Angeles since 2010. It is also taken into account that most people that suffer from gun violence are Latinos and African Americans. This is important because most of the population of Los Angles is the minority which is a growing concern. We see that most individuals killed are from ages 17 to 23. This is an increasing issue that we as a community must try to combat. 

I choose this issue because of how much I have personally seen gun violence in my area. It made me realize that I do not want my niece to see the violence I saw when I was younger. Every young child deserves a chance to live a carefree life and not worry about anything else. Even now, when being outside, we know certain areas are dangerous once the sun goes down. I am tired of seeing the same cycle in my community and how so many people fear gun violence. People can feel unsafe playing in their homes because there is always a chance someone can cause a shooting. I want people to learn from my experience and others that Gun Violence is a serious issue in my community.




Gathering Evidence

"We have to put an end to gun violence in our city"

                                                "At this point, guns sound like fireworks"

 
"Lost a couple friends to gun violence, it time to make a change "


Dissemination of Research to a public audience

Research provided by the following source: "Homicides in Los Angeles reaches the highest level in 15 years during 1st half of 2022: Report."

1) The homicide in Los Angeles in the past four years. All reports are from the first 6 months of the year :

  • In 2019, 130 cases reported 
  • In 2020, 140 cases reported 
  • In 2021, 180 cases reported 
  • In 2022, 181 cases reported 

2) This is important because the homicide rate in Los Angeles is closely related to gun violence and is shown as follows. (Firearms used in homicide)

  • In 2019:68% of weapons were a firearm
  • In 2020:74% of weapons were a firearm 
  • In 2021:75% of weapons were a firearm 
  • In 2022:77% of weapons were a firearm

 3) The second article goes into more detail, explaining the victims of gun violence. The first is that men are twice. As likely to be involved in gun violence. It describes how in Los Angeles, the race most affected by gun violence is African Americans, followed by Hispanics. This is important because my chances of being involved in gun violence are considerably high as a young Hispanic male. 


As mentioned before, this personally affects me because of how much gun violence is in my neighborhood. I have multiple cousins my age who live around my neighborhood and have been exposed to gun violence, some for the safety of their own homes or even going home from school. This experience has always stayed with them and has desensitized them to gun violence. The thought that younger children are growing up in the same environment is unsafe. I choose this topic because it regularly affects my community, and I want more gain awareness for this issue. 



No comments:

Post a Comment