Monday, November 7, 2022

Food Insecurity

Food insecurity 

By: Elias Carrera 

What is food insecurity? 


Food insecurity is defined as a multi-layer and complex problems stemming from peoples lack of financial ability to met their basic needs. Food insecurity, although closely related to poverty is not the cause of food insecurity. Food insecurity is essentially the lack of availability or access to consistent food sources.  

Statistics and images/charts. 

In 2020 it was estimated that over 38 million Americans are food insecure. Meaning that 1 in 8 Americans are or have experienced food insecurity. Food insecurity affects everyone, regardless of race, age or gender. Those more likely to be affected by food insecurity are seniors, children, individuals living in rural communities, as well as African and Latino Americans.   

Factors that contribute to food insecurity

Food insecurity is caused by multiple factors that ultimately lead individuals to experience food insecurity, such as poverty, unemployment and even their socioeconomic status. For others it can be caused by lack of affordable housing. Others can experience food insecurity due to health conditions or lack of access to healthcare.  Even systematic racism and racial discrimination can all contribute to food insecurity.  

Effects of food insecurity

The impact of food insecurity on the health and development on individuals can lead to serious consequences. The most common consequences of food insecurity on children can damage their ability to grow as well as learn. Even health consequences can stem from food insecurity as individuals may have to  forgo medical care over food. Even basic necessities like housing or paying house hold utilities like heat or electricity. 

How does food insecurity affects me


As a child when I was in elementary school my dad had his hours at work cut in half shortly after the holidays. For about two months my family was able to make ends meat with my moms paycheck, we cut back on expenses. No new anything: no games, no movies, no toys. That’s how it started for me, my parents telling me we couldn’t afford that right now, we need to buy groceries first. I was too young to really notice what was happening. I just knew my dad was home more and able to take me to school in the morning. 

Then the real cut backs happened at this point I was in 4th grade around March when we didn’t have much food in the house as my parents needed to pay rent. My parents did the best they could to hide the situation not letting me or my brothers know what was happening in the house. Not having much food in the house isn’t easy to hide or ignore. There were days when I’d go to school on an empty stomach and I knew that if I’d skipped lunch at school I’d have nothing to really eat all day. 

Ultimately food insecurity affected me socially, I was a very moody child and even called mean by classmates. I never knew why I was so angry but everything upset me. Now as an adult I knew I was starving and not having a stable source of food outside of school caused me to lash out towards those around me. 

Why I choose food insecurity? 

I choose food insecurity as it’s a social issue that affects millions of people around the world. While at the same time being highly stigmatized. Those suffering from food insecurity are made to feel shame and seen as lesser as they aren’t able to fully provide for themselves. In the United States, those suffering with food insecurity are seen as the problem with society. Rather than the truth, those suffering with food insecurity are the one’s society failed as we were unable to fully provide and take care of them. 

Why food insecurity matters to me?

As a person who suffered from food insecurity as child and working towards becoming a teacher I know food insecurity can be detrimental to a child’s overall development. As lack of food can stunt a child’s physical growth while at the same time have disastrous effects on their cognitive functions and emotional well-being. I want to ensure that what I experienced as a child doesn’t happen or continues to happen. 

Who’s affected by food insecurity?

-Cam’s story

“When I attended college, I would go to the local food pantry every Tuesday and Thursday. I would also go to the clubhouse to get coffee or hot cocoa, and mints. I survived off of water, mints, and coffee for months before I got reimbursement checks from scholarships. I'd even attend clubs first meetings, just for the free pizza, then never attend again. I had a small apartment, and worked over 40 hours a week while being a full-time student, and all my money went towards rent and books.” 


-Ei’s story 




I don't exactly remember when I experienced food insecurity but based on my parents' story it started when I was born and got worst when my younger brother came after. My parents don't have a stable job that would help us stay afloat back then. As a result, we didn't get the nutrition we need and I was malnourished my entire childhood. My malnourishment resulted in bullying from my aunts. I honestly don't know what to feel whenever I look back on this experience but one thing is sure no one should experience food insecurity, especially children.

Declan’s story


When I was in my freshman year of college, got really sick from the food being server on campus. At the time I was living on campus. The food wasn’t healthy or even appetizing which only made me want to eat less. I ate minimal amounts of food which indirectly affected my immunity. Lack of healthy food for long time had been the reason  I was constantly sick, or had headaches. My college was away from where I live, so I had to stay in the dorm rooms allocated by the college. I was not comfortable with the food they provided and was continuously sick for a month or two. I was able to improve my overall health. I stopped taking food from the college and started eating outside, though more expensive my parents provided me some help with the money. Right now, I am doing my final year of college and I couldn’t be more happy about my progress with my health 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment