Monday, November 7, 2022

Mental Health in Lower-Income Communities

 Mental Health in Lower-income Communities

Research

What is mental health?



Throughout the years' mental health has become more prevalent, as we as a society talk about it more people are becoming aware that it is more common than thought.  There are different types of mental health emotional, psychological, and social well-being. There is a different factors that can contribute to mental health issues such as biological factors, life experiences, and family history. As science advances so are early dictation, some symptoms can be diagnosed earlier. This is why it is important to have mental health resources readily available throughout each community.

Can certain mental illnesses be prevented?




At this time there is no sure way to prevent mental health issues, but there are ways to cope and help control symptoms. Having resources available is very important to have throughout the community not just for kids, but also for the parents and adults throughout the community. If mental health illnesses go untreated they can lead to disabilities and cause severe emotional, behavioral, and physical health problems. Some complications can lead to personal issues such as family conflicts or relationship isolation, while other complications can lead to issues that affect the community such as homelessness and violence. Unfortunately, many mental health aids or resources are underfunded or non-existent in lower-income communities where it is needed the most.

How does low income affect mental health?



There is a disparity when it comes to mental health help and resources from community to community, unfortunately, lower-income communities or communities with a majority of Latinos/Hispanics or blacks get the short end of the stick. There has been researched that correlates poverty to overall well-being, both physical and mental, in young children. There is also a cultural stigma when it comes to mental health, especially in Hispanic/Latino communities, which prevents many parents and individuals from getting or receiving help. There is also a need for educational resources to help explain and debunk myths about mental health. Having more information and resources within the community, that are free and accessible to all would help improve the well-being of the entire community.

Personal

In my household, we never discussed any issues concerning mental health even after my older sister was diagnosed with bipolar and depression. It was due to the stigma that our culture creates around mental health. In our culture people do not want to be classified are crazy or lazy. An example of this is the symptoms of depression can be seen as just being lazy, most older Latinos and other minorities do not take it seriously.  I have always just dealt with my anxiety and stress by just ignoring it and trying to downplay it. It was until this past winter when I was working a full-time job and going to school full time that it just became too much for my body. During one of our busiest times of the year, I had an anxiety attack at work and I felt completely vulnerable. Fortunately, I have insurance and my primary care doctor helped me get help to cope with my anxiety. If at an early age I would have been able to talk to those around me or felt comfortable talking about it, I feel my attack could have been prevented.

What can improve

I feel that providing more resources to underprivileged communities could help everyone in that community and surrounding areas. It would improve the well-being of many families, lower crime rates, and lower homelessness. Having resources available within a community like educational classes in different languages, access to counselors, and therapy groups, not just in school but open to the public can save many lives.

Community Members Thoughts

Micaela



There are not enough mental health resources in our community as mental health is often undervalued in Latinx/Latine communities. Mental health should be destigmatized and communities should be able to hold healthy communication and avoid dismissing mental health issues. I think culture does play a role because most Latinx/Latine parents don’t like discussing their feelings or often bottle them up. Additionally, machism runs rampant in Latine/x communities so it could be seen as “unmanly” to discuss feelings and mental health struggles.

Brittney


There are not enough resources within my community, and being a parent there is a struggle to find the right help for my kids. Having more resources locally, especially accessible for kids starting in elementary and extended to the family would be such a great help. This would help me with how I can help my own kids. 

Rosie


I have seen the difference in the number of resources from one community to another, living in a lower income it was hard to get access to any mental health resources. After moving into my new community, I have noticed how much aid is offered and available not only to my children but to me as well. As a Chicana, I think culture does play a role in it. Some families may not believe in mental health/mental illness until perhaps it's something severe and does not take action to care for their loved ones. I want that to change with me and my family, I want my family to be both physically healthy and mentally healthy. 


Sources 

https://www.cdc.gov/hrqol/wellbeing.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5192088/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mental-illness/symptoms-causes/syc-20374968#:~:text=other%20medical%20conditions-,Prevention,keep%20your%20symptoms%20under%20control



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment