Monday, November 7, 2022

Homelessness in Los Angeles

Homelessness in Los Angeles

by: Keily Munguia


Resources:

FOX 11 Digital Team. "Lost Angeles: Understanding LA's out-of-control homeless issue," Fox 11 Los Angeles, May 25, 2022. https://www.foxla.com/news/homeless-los-angeles-homelessness-lost-angeles

Kil, Emily. "Why Does Los Angeles Have High Numbers of Homeless People?" Ecobear Biohazard Cleaning Company, April 4, 2018. https://ecobear.co/knowledge-center/why-does-los-angeles-have-high-numbers-of-homeless-people

Personal: 

Homelessness is a social issue that affects me directly because it makes me feel unsafe when I'm alone on the streets. Many of these people are in the street at any time, sometimes in a state of alcoholism, other times sleeping on the cement and alleys or in the worst cases drugged with some type of drug. As a student, sometimes I have classes that finish late like around 6. Since I don't drive I have to take the bus and I have to go through places where homeless people live. Personally, I've been in a situation where homeless people are talking to me in a rude way like they want to fight, for the simple fact that I turn to see them. Also, there are a lot of homeless around my neighborhood and in the area where they live there is always a lot of trash even in the parks.

I choose this issue because I think everyone should have a place where they can feel safe. Also, I believe that all homeless people should have soft bed to sleep, decent food to eat, and a decent place to live. They should have a place where they can be warm during Winter and Fall seasons and a place where they can refresh during Spring and specially Summer seasons. Also, I believe that everyone deserves to have healthcare regardless of their financial status and that is something homeless people don't have access to.

Gathering Evidence:

Elena Vachon - "The homeless population should have more access to doctors and programs that assist with their medical needs, especially if they have disabilities. People who are disabled are less likely to get jobs because of their condition, and some laws state that people with disabilities can’t get the medical services that they need if they make over a certain amount of money per month. I believe Los Angeles should raise the income limit required to get medical assistance to an amount of money that can sustain them in Los Angeles."

 
  

Bryan Lopez - "The cost of living in California is very expensive. Los Angeles should offer more programs that provide jobs to homeless people."

Lizet Castillo - "Los Angeles needs to build more homes that can be affordable on minimum wage."

 

Sebastian Luna - "Employers don’t want to hire a homeless person so free shelter should be a priority."

Dissemination of research to a public audience:

According to the article "Why Does Los Angeles Have High Numbers of Homeless People?" Some reasons why some people become homeless are:

  • Low income rate

  • High rental markets

  • Drug abuse and addiction

  • Victims of domestic violence

  • Unemployment, etc.

Fox 11 Digital Team, created the following illustration about the 2020 homeless count and the places they live.

According to "Lost Angeles: Understanding LA's out-of-control homeless issue" article, every year homelessness is increasing by 14%. Homelessness is an issue affecting everyone in the society regardless their race. The image below is provided by Fox 11 Digital Team and it shows a breakdown of the 2020 homeless population by race.

 

Homelessness is a social issue that matters to me because is something that affects the community. I feel affected because I can see homeless people all around the neighborhood, sometimes they are in front of my house or in front of my neighbors house. It also affects me and the community because many of them cross the street without precaution and that is dangerous for them and also can affect people driving. I believe we all have the right to have and lead a decent life. I think we still have the opportunity to help them to reintegrate into society. Little by little, working together as a whole, we could carry out projects to boost their mental development and to help them to get out of that situation and give them a decent job and home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment