Thursday, November 3, 2022

Mental Health in Mothers Post Pandemic by Courtney Corral

   


 The Covid-19 pandemic was an uncertain experience for everyone across the globe. It was an especially uncertain and emotional ride for expectant mothers. These women juggled the fear of contracting this new virus and passing it to their baby, the stress of working at home isolated from their peers, and, for some, the burden of acting as a teacher for their other children who were doing schoolwork remotely. Add on cooking and cleaning, and it's no wonder why mental health problems in mothers have been at an all-time high since the pandemic began. Lives were flipped upside down. When restrictions began lifting, these women still had the responsibility of caring for a baby while an unknown virus was quietly making its way around town. Moms struggle with the burden of leaving their child, or children, for hours at a time. Some return to the office, others to their education, all while having to look for daycare openings or family babysitters. It's important to be aware of the situation at hand in order to support a mother in need in your own community. Studies show,  



❤Since the onset of COVID-19, mental health issues have increased among postpartum women, with 41 percent reporting depression and 72 percent reporting moderate-to-high anxiety (compared to 15 per cent and 29 per cent pre-pandemic).

❤Depression is the most predominant mental well-being issue during pregnancy, associated with side effects such as a discouraged state of mind, low confidence, loss of interest, sensations of uselessness, peevish temperament, loss of hunger, feelings of weakness, and lousy concentration abilities

❤ Maternal mental health disorders lead to negative lifelong consequences for mothers, infants, and families.

❤ Effects can include premature delivery, reduced mother-infant bonding, and developmental delays in infants.





    During June of 2020, in the middle of the pandemic, I found out that I was pregnant. I slept in every morning, danced around my apartment while cleaning, and took so many naps. On February 28th, 2021, I delivered a healthy baby girl. Around this time, Covid restrictions began being lifted, and the world started getting, somewhat, back to normal. This is when the reality of being a mother began to sink in. I wasn't a 26-year-old food server anymore, having drinks, or a smoke, after a hard shift with co-workers. I was now a 28-year-old, stay-at-home mom who spent every morning at the park and every afternoon watching Sesame Street. When I reached out to friends, they would text back "I'm at work", and when I called my partner, I'd get the same response. 
I missed the connection I used to have in my old life. When I would get the chance to go out, it definitely wasn't the same. I needed to find a way to feel just a little bit like my old self again. So, I decided to look online for help. I joined a few Facebook groups for new moms and started building connections with women online who were in the same boat as me. We shared our feelings and experiences, and it felt so great to know that I wasn't the only one feeling this way. We talked about ways to beat the negative thoughts in our minds, like taking our little ones for walks. We were also there to support each other when one of us needed someone to talk to. Struggling with mental health alone is scary, but when you find the right support group, your mind can overcome anything.                                    



Christina Valdivia (28), First Time Mom

 "During the pandemic, I decided to finish my education. My son was 1 year old, so I thought it was the perfect time. Wrong. He started to climb on things and wanted my undivided attention. To top it off, the people in my class were so much younger than me. I felt embarrassed and overwhelmed. It was driving me insane, but I did this to myself, so I needed to get through it."


Sarah Pena (28), Mother of 2

"With my first daughter, I was in a walking group that would meet every Friday at the park for an hour with our little ones. This time around, everyone was too scared to be outside, let alone be outside with our babies. I felt really alone and missed my Friday walks. The pandemic really took away the bond I felt with other moms during my first pregnancy." 


Francine Garcia (27), First Time Mom 

"At work, you're surrounded by people but still feel alone. Then, you get home and your babysitter leaves. So, you're alone again with your kid, who you love so much, but can't have a conversation with. Alone again, waiting until your partner gets home to have an adult conversation. By that time, they're tired of working all day and don't take into consideration that you're also mentally exhausted and still have to be a mom."

     


    Now that we are aware of the issue, what can we do to help? Helping a mother in need could be as simple as making as phone call or sending a text message. It's important to let your friend know that they are still on your mind. Physical activity is also a great way to exercise one's body and mind. Going for a walk with a friend is a great way to express yourself and get fresh air. One could also recommend that their mom-friend join an online support group. 

 ❤ Activities such as gardening, going for walks, household chores, and online fitness classes are feasible alternatives to promote wellness through movement and should be promoted as reasonable methods for increasing the physical activity of moms.

Frontiers | Moms Are Not OK: COVID-19 and Maternal Mental Health (frontiers 

❤ As little as a single group exercise session of 45 minutes can improve anxiety levels in women without a history of mental illness.  











No comments:

Post a Comment