Sunday, April 14, 2024

The Body Dysmorphia Diaries

 

 The Body Dysmorphia Diaries

By

Linh Tran

Photo From News-Medical

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Body-Dysmorphic-Disorder.aspx 

 

What is Body Dysmorphia? "Body dysmorphic disorder is a mental health condition in which you can't stop thinking about one or more perceived defects or flaws in your appearance — a flaw that appears minor or can't be seen by others. But you may feel so embarrassed, ashamed and anxious that you may avoid many social situations.

When you have body dysmorphic disorder, you intensely focus on your appearance and body image, repeatedly checking the mirror, grooming or seeking reassurance, sometimes for many hours each day. Your perceived flaw and the repetitive behaviors cause you significant distress and impact your ability to function in your daily life.

You may seek out numerous cosmetic procedures to try to "fix" your perceived flaw. Afterward, you may feel temporary satisfaction or a reduction in your distress, but often the anxiety returns and you may resume searching for other ways to fix your perceived flaw.

Treatment of body dysmorphic disorder may include cognitive behavioral therapy and medication" (Mayo Clinic 2022).

How To Know If You Have Body Dysmorphia?

"Signs and symptoms of body dysmorphic disorder include:

  • Being extremely preoccupied with a perceived flaw in appearance that to others can't be seen or appears minor
  • Strong belief that you have a defect in your appearance that makes you ugly or deformed
  • Belief that others take special notice of your appearance in a negative way or mock you
  • Engaging in behaviors aimed at fixing or hiding the perceived flaw that are difficult to resist or control, such as frequently checking the mirror, grooming or skin picking
  • Attempting to hide perceived flaws with styling, makeup or clothes
  • Constantly comparing your appearance with others
  • Frequently seeking reassurance about your appearance from others
  • Having perfectionist tendencies
  • Seeking cosmetic procedures with little satisfaction
  • Avoiding social situations  "
(Mayo Clinic 2022).

Are there complications that is caused by body dysmorphia?

"Yes, The mental condition causes isolation from friends and family members, low self-esteem, depression, anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, substance misuse, health problems from behaviors such as skin picking, physical pain, and as far as suicidal thoughts depending on the severity level of the condition for each person" (Mayo Clinic 2022).

 

In what age group is Body Dysmorphia present in?

"Just about anyone can get Body Dysmorphic Disorder. BDD affects:

  • Both men and women – about 40% of people with BDD are men, and about 60% are women.
  • People of almost any age (from age 4-5 up into old age):
    • BDD most often begins around age 12 or 13.
    • Two-thirds of people with BDD experience onset of the disorder before age 18.
  • People of any race and ethnicity.
  • People from around the world.
  • People from all socioeconomic classes."
(Phillips 2023).
 
Can Body Dysmorphia Be Cured or Prevented?
No, there is no cure. Yes, There are ways that are found to prevent or reduce the severity of the mental condition. Some solutions include seeing a therapist who can provide guidance on how to cope with the condition and a strong support system from family and friends who are constantly present when needed (Mayo Clinic 2022).

The Interviews Within The Community (For Those Who Were Affected)

Question: What is body dysmorphia to you? How has body dysmorphia affected your body and mindset?
 
       Clarisabel Butman
Photo Taken By Clarisabel Butman

Quote: " I feel as though body dysmorphia is a feeling like you're not in control of your own body, or that you weren't born in the right body. I believe that it's a feeling I've had for about 4 years in my own body, not feeling as though it was finished developing in comparison to other people's".


Guadalupe Castro
Photo Taken By Guadalupe Castro
 
Quote: "Body dysmorphia is a mental disorder where you are obsessed on not liking the way you look even if you may look normal. The slight changes you feel that might make you feel better can become repetitive and harmful physically and mentally. It's a quiet disorder that can later lead on to more harmful action like eating disorders. It takes a while to be comfortable in your own skin".

Why I chose this topic? How it matters to me and my community?

I have dealt with body dysmorphia throughout my whole life. I started to feel that I have it when I have dealt with trauma when I was younger. To be able to hear a family member say, "You are ugly and dumb", "Look at how big your thighs, arms, and face are" to a young child that is still growing is unforgiving. To be able to hear such remarks at a young age is shocking to me now and growing up in an Asian family has made the experience worse for me. Weight has always been an ongoing topic that can become too much to handle at times. I did not have a name for what I was going through until I happened to come across Lana Condor. Lana Condor was the female lead for All The Boys I've Loved Before Series by Jenny Han. It was a series that was popular when it first came out and I watched the first movie that came out of the series, out of curiosity. After I finished the series, I was curious about Lana Condor and I decided to do a Google Search on her. I happened to stumble upon an article where Lana Condor opened up to the public about having body dysmorphia. I started to feel this connection after reading the article and realized that I have body dysmorphia as well. I felt relieved that I have a name for what I went through and that I am not alone. I have always felt ashamed for having this mental condition because, for me, to live in a society where everyone and everything needs to be perfect at a cause. For example, there is no such thing as mid-size and plus-size models being present on social media and mental health was rarely mentioned in the early 2000s. I feel pressured and I was scared to share my story with everyone.  It takes a lot of courage to come to terms with what I have going on inside of my own body and to say, "I have body dysmorphia!". I wanted to raise awareness through the blog by sharing my experience, for the blog to become a safe space for everyone who has body dysmorphia to not feel that they are fighting this battle by themselves, for anyone who does not have body dysmorphia or who happen to have a close one that has body dysmorphia, and anyone that is interested in knowing more about body dysmorphia. 

References: 

Mayo Clinic Staff. “Body Dysmorphic Disorder.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 13 Dec. 2022, www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/body-dysmorphic-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20353938. 

Phillips, Katharine A. “Who Gets Bdd?” BDD, International OCD Foundation, 21 Apr. 2023, bdd.iocdf.org/about-bdd/who-gets/.


 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment