Monday, April 15, 2024

Body Dysmorphia


  Mental Health-Body Dysmorphia!

                                                                    By: Jacqueline Rubio       



Civic Engagement: 

In the article, Civic Engagement, it mentions how “Civic engagement involves working to make a 
difference in the civic life of one’s community and developing the combination of knowledge, skills, values and motivation to make that difference. It means promoting the quality of life in a community, through both political and non-political processes.”Civic engagement includes both paid and unpaid forms of political activism, environmentalism, and community and national service. Volunteering, national service, and service-learning are all forms of civic engagement.”  In What Do We Mean By "Civic Engagement"?, they define Civic engagement to the ways in which citizens participate in the life of a community in order to improve conditions for others or to help shape the community’s future.
The way I define Civic engagement after various readings on this term, it is the way in which it takes place in communities. I see how it is a part of homelessness, social issues or here in my local church where the priest at our church volunteered to help with homing those in Mexico and traveled with the bible group in order to help those in need are all apart of civic engagement services. It is about helping others with their physical or mental health without expecting anything in return. 


Research:

Body Dysmorphia, although unfortunate has been a mental health issue that resides within most of the world and inclusively experts state that about one of every 100 people has BDD; men and women are equally affected. 

According to Body dysmorphic disorder, (BDD) is a mental health problem. If you have BDD, you may be so upset about the appearance of your body that it gets in the way of your ability to live normally. Many of us have what we think are flaws in our appearance. But if you have BDD, your reaction to this “flaw” may become overwhelming. Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a mental health problem. If you have BDD, you may be so upset about the appearance of your body that it gets in the way of your ability to live normally. Many of us have what we think are flaws in our appearance. But if you have BDD, your reaction to this “flaw” may become overwhelming. Nobody knows the cause of BDD. It usually begins in your adolescence or teenage years. The cause of body dysmorphic disorder is thought to be a combination of environmental, psychological, and biological factors. Bullying or teasing may create or foster the feelings of inadequacy, shame, and fear of ridicule. Experts think that about one of every 100 people has BDD. Men and women are equally affected.

Symptoms of BDD include:

  • Constantly checking yourself in the mirror 
  • Avoiding mirrors
  • Trying to hide your body part under a hat, scarf, or makeup
  • Constantly exercising or grooming
  • Constantly comparing yourself with others
  • Always asking other people whether you look OK
  • Not believing other people when they say you look fine
  • Avoiding social activities
  • Not going out of the house, especially in the daytime
  • Picking at your skin with fingers or tweezers
  • Feeling anxious, depressed, and ashamed 
Solutions to this issue: 

According to the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, Cognitive behavioral therapy is recommended for body dysmorphic disorder and these are some areas which it focuses on: 
  • Helping you learn how negative thoughts, emotional reactions and behaviors maintain problems over time
  • Challenging automatic negative thoughts about your body image and learning more-flexible ways of thinking
  • Learning alternate ways to handle urges or rituals to help reduce mirror checking, reassurance seeking or excess use of medical services
  • Teaching you other behaviors to improve your mental health, such as addressing social avoidance and increasing engagement with healthy supports and activities. 



Why this social issue matter to me? 

This issue is important to me because it is something I have dealt with for several years in my life and bringing awareness to this mental health disorder through this project is a way in which I can inform others on this and hopefully educate as well. As I have grown up and gained more self confidence through my journey with BDD, I have found some ways in which I can better my mental health and create better choices such as going to the gym. I firmly believe the gym has only bettered my mental health and physical health overall, you gain not only muscle, but confidence, love for your self, and build a better relationship with yourself as a whole! 


Gathering Info - Community Members:

Question: Has body dysmorphia affected your mental health and if so how have you managed it? 




Alyssa Q.

Statement: 

"Body dysmorphia has affected my mental health. Quite frankly til this day it still does. I feel I can never stop but worry how many calories I’m consuming, how many carbs. I feel it’s a roller coaster of emotion that goes on day by day because I’m afraid of being the person I use to be. I’m afraid of being “ obese “ or “ overweight”. I feel it’s hard managing it because one day I’ll feel okay and the next that’s when it all hits me like you ate to many calories, to many carbs, now your going to look like this or that. I feel it’s a mental and physical challenge that takes time and growth to overcome."


Efrain R.

Statement: 

"Yes, BDD has affected my mental health specifically muscle dysmorphia. I’ve managed to overcome it by appreciating my body more and realizing that there is no ideal body type and our bodies do so much for us. I feel like sometimes we focus so much on what we wish we looked like and what we wish we were instead of appreciating what we have and what our bodies can do for us." 


Suleima F.

Statement:  

"I have experienced body dysmorphia in my life and I say this because I’ve never been the “skinny”people have been telling me I use to be back in high school and before I would be bothered by it, but  now as an adult who doesn’t exercise I see it now more and I acknowledge it and I am willing to eat healthier and exercise for the purpose of my health and not so much for the thin culture." 




Sources: 

Civic engagement. Civic Engagement | Youth.gov. (n.d.). https://youth.gov/youth-topics/civic-engagement-and-volunteering 

What do we mean by “Civic engagement”? (n.d.). https://www.unomaha.edu/international-studies-and-programs/_files/docs/adler-goggin-civic-engagement.pdf 

Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. (2022, December 13). Body dysmorphic disorder. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/body-dysmorphic-disorder/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353944 

Body dysmorphic disorder. Johns Hopkins Medicine. (n.d.). https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/body-dysmorphic-disorder#:~:text=The%20fear%20of%20being%20judged,and%20should%20not%20be%20ignored.









No comments:

Post a Comment