Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Stop Bullying

By: Brenda Delgado 


Bullying 
Bullying is a problem that many students face on a daily basis. Many of us are unaware that our children are being bullied at school. We don’t really pay much attention to what goes on when we drop them off.  According to Pacer's National Bullying Prevention Center "almost one out of every four students (22%) report being bullied during the school year".  Many students are afraid to speak up and say that they are being bullied. They feel threaten by their aggressor. Not only does a victim suffer mentally and physically by their aggressor they also suffer academically. According to the American Society for the Positive Care of Children “ 160,000 students stay home from school every day due to bullying”. When there is this many students staying home and not going to school their grades suffer and they loose valuable classroom time. 


Why it matters to me
Bullying matters to me because it’s something that I experienced growing up. As a child I was made fun of and teased. At the moment I didn’t know that I was being bullied. I took it as my peers messing with me and giving me a hard time but never bullying. I never told an adult because I didn’t take it as something serious. As I got older we were informed about school bullying and what it meant to be bullied. It was then when I looked back and realized I had being bullied. I didn’t realize it at the time but being bullied at a young age made me become a bully when I was older. I made fun of kids and teased them. It’s not something that I am proud of today and if I could go back to change things I would. That is why I want to bring awareness to our community about bullying. Many people think of bullying as being shoved or harmed physically but bullying is more than that. It can be name calling, being excluded on purpose from activities or spreading rumors. Students can be being bullied and not even know it. It is important to bring awareness to schools. We need to inform educators and students about bullying and what it means to be bullied.

Supporters 

     




 

       



















References 
"Bullying Statistics." Bullying Statistics - National Bullying Prevention Center. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Nov. 2016. <http://www.pacer.org/bullying/resources/stats.asp>.

"Bullying Statistics and Information - American SPCC." American SPCC. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Nov. 2016. <http://americanspcc.org/bullying/statistics-and-information/>.


No comments:

Post a Comment