Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Alcoholism (Andrea Garcia)



RESEARCH:

Alcoholism has become a major global issue that effects millions of individuals. According to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 88,000 people die of alcohol related causes annually ("Alcohol Facts and Statistics", 2016). This makes alcohol the fourth leading preventive cause of dead in the United States. The institute also states that globally, alcohol misuse is the fifth leading factor in premature death among individuals between 15-49 ("Alcohol Facts and Statistics", 2016). Alcoholism is also an economic burden for the United States. According to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism in 2010 alcoholic misused cost the United States $249 billion dollars ("Alcohol Facts and Statistics", 2016).The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence concluded that 40% of all hospital beds in the United States are used to treat conditions related to alcohol consumption ("Alcohol, Drugs and Crime", n.d).

Alcoholism not only causes pain to the person fighting the disease but also their loved ones. The National Institute of Alcohol and Alcoholism states that more than 10 % of children in the United States live with a parent who suffers from alcoholism. Alcoholic parents have a higher risk for violent behavior and abuse towards their children ("Alcohol Facts and Statistics", 2016). The study also showed that children with alcoholic parents tend to do worse academically than others and have higher incidents with of depression, anxiety and stress than their peers ("Alcohol Facts and Statistics", 2016). The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence concluded that 55% of domestic abuse cases involve alcohol("Alcohol, Drugs and Crime", n.d).  These statistics reflects the negative consequences alcoholism brings to alcoholics and their loves one. It is a global issue that millions are facing everyday.


References:
 National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. (2016, June) Alcohol Facts and Statistics. Retrieved from: https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics                   

National National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. (n.d). Alcohol, Drugs and Crime. Retrieved from: https://www.ncadd.org/about-addiction/alcohol-drugs-and-crime

PERSONAL 
Alcoholism has played a dramatic role in my life for many reasons. Growing up with a father who was an alcoholic, I witnessed first-hand all the negative effects this disease can cause in a family. My father's alcoholism brought a lot of despair to my family to a point where my family was broken.
My early memories of my father all involve my father drinking or him being under the influence of alcohol. My father under the influence of alcohol was not the same person he was sober. We saw how alcoholism transformed him into a depressed, violent, abusive person. My father's alcoholism lead to him being verbally abusive towards my mother. Which led to family arguments and even physical altercations. His alcoholism also did not allow for  him to hold a steady job which resulted in financial hardships for my family.

I cannot express how much pain alcoholism has brought to me, I could only try. The tears and emotional pain my family and I experienced because of my fathers alcoholism will forever be in my memory. The feeling of being scared when my father showed up because we did not know if he was going to be a mad drunk or completely sober. The feeling sadness when I gave my father  a hug and smelled alcohol. The feeling of being heartbroken seeing my little sister cry because we did not want to see my dad and mom arguing. The feeling of hopelessness when I saw my father cry because he could not stop drinking. These are all feelings that alcoholism brought to my childhood.


As an adult I can finally see how this disease really affected my father and my family. I never understood why my father could not just stop drinking. I always believed that loved alcohol more than he loved himself or his family. I could never understand how my father was such a different  person when he was sober and how he transformed to a possessed man when he drank. It is until now that I understand that it came to a point when my father had no control over his addiction. My father was fighting alcoholism. A real addiction that takes self- strength and professional to  help an individual rehabilitate. It was not that my father loved alcohol more than he loved us, it was him trying to fight an addiction that was growing each day.


At the time there was nothing that I could of done to help my father fight his alcoholism. Now as an adult I want to bring light to this issue that millions of individuals around the world face. I believe there is not enough media coverage on the effects of alcoholism. Social awareness of alcoholism is vital in helping fight this horrible disease.

My action is to fight alcoholism by bringing to light all the negative affects it has on individuals and their families.



MEMBERS IN MY COMMUNITY ALSO AFFECTED BY THE ISSUE


Beatriz Fernandez 
"Dealing with someone who suffers from alcoholism has been really hard on me and my family" 

Beatriz's husband suffers from alcoholism. Beatriz explained that alcoholism has caused a lot of pain for her and her family. She believes it is a horrible disease that cannot be fought unless the person is that is dealing with it is ready for change. Beatriz says that she prays that one day her husband can beat his alcoholism. 



Leo Sanchez 
"Alcoholism killed my brother" 

Leo lost his older brother four years ago to alcoholism. Leo's bother began drinking at an early age. Leo notice his brother's drinking problem spiral out of control when his brother was 23 years old. His brother would drink alone and to cope with his personal problems. Leo's family tried to get his brother help but he refused and believed he did not have a problem. Four years ago on a Saturday night, Leo's brother got into a car under the influence and drove off to a bar. That night he got into a fatal car accident, he left behind a grieving family. Leo blames alcoholism for his brothers death. Leo believes his brother was in denial and did not understand the true meaning of alcoholism. Leo wishes to spread the word of the true effects of alcoholism. 



Jesus Munoz 
"You can recover from alcoholism, you just have to surround yourself with the right people" 

Jesus is a true success story, he is a recovering alcoholic. It is been 5 years since he Jesus stop drinking and he does not regret it. Jesus started socially drinking in his teen years. As the years when on he began drinking heavily. Jesus drank seven days a week until he was completely drunk. He was no longer drinking socially but to cope with his personal problems. Jesus explained to me that his alcoholism led him to very dangerous situations. He recalls being involved in a bar fight which led to him pulling a knife on someone. He explains that if his sister did not stop him from stabbing a man he would have been in prison for life. Though he was defending himself, he believes he would have acted differently if alcohol was not involved. He believes his alcoholism blinded him in many occasions but at the time he did no realize it. It was until he was diagnosed with liver problems that he decided he was gonna stop. Jesus explained to me that it was an easier process than he thought it would be. He explained that he distanced himself from people who also suffered from alcoholism and alcohol itself. Over Jesus said he never thought he was an alcoholic until he saw the effects it had on his body. Jesus believes that the key to his recovery was surrounding himself with the right people. 

Jonathan Garcia 
"I had to get a DUI in order to realize I was an alcoholic" 

Jonathan Garcia is a recovering alcoholic. Jonathan recalls his alcoholism problem began in his early twenties. Jonathan drank everyday for five years, until he got a DUI which changed his life. Jonathan vowed to get help when he was going through the process of dealing with the consequences of his DUI.

Esperanza Cabrera 
"My dear brother could not defeat his alcoholism" 
Esperanza's younger brother died 8 years ago due to liver failure. Esperanza's brother was an alcoholic for most of his life. Esperanza explains how her brother wanted to fight his alcoholism towards the end of his life but he could not defeat the disease. After many years of abusive drinking her brother developed liver failure and passed away. Esperanza has never consumed alcohol because she experienced first hand what it does to people. 


Raquel Garsa 
"I ran away from home at 15 years old because of my drinking problem" 

Raquel Garsa is an individual that beat her alcoholism problem. Raquel considered herself an alcoholic at the age of 15. She ran away from home and lived in the streets for three months, until she began attending church and got counseling. Raquel is no longer drinks and believes that alcoholism is like any other addiction and should be treated. Raquel believes that alcoholism, is an issue that should be get more social attention.


Daniela Huerta
"My dad is an alcoholic and it has not been easy on our family" 
Daniela Huerta's father is battling alcoholism. Daniela recalls her father drinking habits as out of control and unhealthy. Her father is currently attending Alcoholic Anonymous meetings and states it has been hard on him. She is hopeful that counseling will help her father in his rehabilitation.

Hugo Rodriguez 
"Some of my friends are alcoholics" 
Hugo Rodriguez hates what alcoholism has done to some of his childhood friends. Several of his friends have been incarcerated because of their drinking problem. Hugo stated that he has tried to talk to them and convince them to slow down but they do not think they have a problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment