Monday, April 17, 2023

Teen Pregnancy

 ART 3170 Civic Engagement: Social Issues "Action" Project


Welcome to the ART 3170 blog created as part of the civic engagement requirement of this course. In this blog, students will identify a major social issue that affects them and their communities. After conducting brief research, on the issue and sharing their personal feelings. Students will locate members of their communities who are also affected by the same social issue. 


Sunday, April 16, 2023


Teen Pregnancy 


Teenage Pregnancy 

By: Franchesca Mendez 

https://www.pngkey.com/png/detail/527-5278423_download-pregnant-student-cartoon-clipart-teenage-pregnancy-teenage.png


What is Civic Engagement? 


There are many different ways that "Civic Engagement" can be defined as. " Individuals become involved in their community to make a positive difference in the lives of their fellow citizens."  Civic engagement brings family, friends, and the communities together to work united as one whole. It is defined that civic engagement can be work either from the smallest to the biggest activity but interacting with the community. There are many different ways that we can get our community involved, for example, picking up trash from floors or even voting. 



Intro 


We have been seeing a lot of teen pregnancy now a days. We see many situations where it has gotten out of count. By out of count, I mean it wasn't normal to see teens from ages 17-20 be pregnant at a young age. We are now living in an era where everything is evolving. Even though some see that becoming a mom at a young age is bad and disappointing others think it is a life changing situation towards good. The importance of preventing pregnancy and birth are significant contributors to high school dropout rates among girls. 



Issues 


Adolescent pregnancy is a global phenomenon with clearly known causes and serious health, social and economic consequences to individuals, families. The high social and economic costs of teen pregnancy and child­bearing can have short- and long-term negative consequences for teen parents, their children, and their community. Teen pregnancy can be risky to unborn babies. 


Research 


 Many people say it is hard enough just being a teenager by itself – add in pregnancy and all that planning and preparing that comes with it, and it becomes even more challenging. Growing up in poverty, having parents with low levels of education, growing up in a single-parent family, and having low attachment to and performance in school.  Immediate and long-lasting effects continue for teen parents and their children even after adjusting for the factors that increased the teen’s risk for pregnancy. In the article "The adverse defects of teen pregnancy " states that, 90 percent of women who did not give birth during adolescence receive a high school diploma. Only about 10 percent of teen mothers complete a two- or four-year college program. Teen fathers have a 25 to 30 percent lower probability of graduating from high school than teenage boys who are not fathers." For example, you may be more tired during your pregnancy, meaning that you spend more time sleeping than seeing friends, family, or your boyfriend, and even have less time to study for exams or homework. Going through a teen pregnancy with your boyfriend can get tricky, especially if the pregnancy was not planned. In the article, " Teen pregnancy issues and challenges", they state, there may be added pressure on the relationship from thoughts like, is he going to be a good father? Or will he really stay with me? Or are we going to get married?





Teen birth rates also vary substantially across regions and states. In 2019, the lowest teen birth rates were reported in the northeast, while rates were highest in states across the southern part of the country. 






Personal 

    
    To me as a young women/teen, I feel like being pregnant does have a lot of consequences either positively or negatively. I have always been precautions with my actions and what it may lead me to. I am at a young age that I think being a mom would not be positive towards me. I don't have enough time to be a mom, go to college, and be a manager full time. I think for me I always wait for what I want, and everything falls into place. I plan on being pregnant maybe later on in five years. I need to be stabled mentally, and economically. I want to achieve graduating from college and see where life takes me. I have been with my partner for four years; he supports me in everything and pushes me to always succeed. He also doesn't want kids at the moment. We both work ten hours each shift and try our best to give each other time besides school and work. 




Franchesca & Joel 07-16-19



Interviews 


The following questions were asked by the people who got interviewed:

1.  What do you think about teen pregnancy?
2.  Why did you and your partner get pregnant or why not?
3. What are your thoughts on abortions?



Jacob Mendez 


1. I think everyone does whatever they want with their bodies they decide and are the only ones to give an opinion about it. I am very opened minded and now living in an era where everything is more modernized. 
2. I do not have a partner at the moment but when I do, I want to think things clearly and take my time on everything. I am currently a second-year student at Northridge and have a long way to go. 
3. I think abortion should be legal. Women are the ones that suffer and carry with all that pressure. 




Uriel Justo 

1. I don't think it correct. I think women should first be stabled in all ways and get married first. I am against kids having kids. 
2. I have not gotten any women pregnant I always think about what they suffer. I see how my mom was a single mother and raised four of us. I am going to be with a woman and treat her right and not just get her pregnant and leave her. 
3. I am against abortions. There are many ways you could stop pregnancy rather than killing a human being. I think there's plan B. Condoms for both men and women do exist. 



Loida Mendoza

1. I am against it. Now a days girls just get pregnant because they want to experience sex and not because they want to be a mom or dad at a young age. In my times you would see young teens pregnant at the age of 18 but they knew how to; cook, clean, work at a very young age. Now a days all teens want to do is smoke, drink, and have sexual relationships. 
2. My partner and I have 2 children. We thought about everything first. We have a house; we have space for them, a job, love, and were healthy. We first got married and spoke everything out. We have been together for 11 years now. We have had support from everyone since the first day. 
3. As a woman I don't really know how to answer this. I think abortion should and should not be legal. There are women that don't decided if they want to get pregnant. Some men abuse the and that's how they get pregnant which is sad. Other just have sex and don't take care of themselves, and don't take a pill or use contraceptives to stop pregnancy. 



What can we do? How can we get involved?


Condom :

Condom is the safest and mostly available form of choice to avoid unwanted pregnancy. 

Birth Control Tablets :

These oral pills must be used by a woman which lowers the risks of pregnancy greatly. In the market, many birth control pills are available. 

 Contraception :

These contraceptive pills are known as the after-morning pills. These can help to obstruct an unwanted pregnancy resulting from an accidental intercourse. A word of caution is that we have to swallow the pill between two or three days of indulging in sex.

These are some of many ways or steps we can prevent pregnancy. 

We can get involved in so many ways. Especially school they can give classes on how to consult help when facing a case like this of pregnancy. We can do posters or promote on social media and get teens involved in more in-depth info of pregnancy. 







Resources


How To Stop Pregnancy By Safe Methods (healthyfuturesva.com)

Teenage Pregnancy: Medical Risks and Realities (webmd.com)

Adolescent pregnancy (who.int)




No comments:

Post a Comment