Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Jazmin Smith - Police Brutality




Police Brutality in African American communities

There has been far to many deaths by the men in blue, for those of you who do not know who I am referring to, I am talking about police officers. It has been over 50 years since the great Martin Luther King Jr. Selma March, which pinpointed police brutality of unarmed African Americans. Throughout the last 50+ years there has been death caused directly from police offers shooting or brutality beating minorities of color. Ever since the Mike Brown shooting 2 years ago I have been more aware about police brutality in the United States. I have never really noticed how unfair the system is and how deep in history it goes. The media is now reporting on all instances of police brutality especially with African Americans and it breaks my heart to see my community get killed especially when they are following the polices orders and it breaks my heart even more to see and hear that the officers involved get away with murder, they literally murder people and they don't get fired or suffer any punishment at all. It is truly rare when a police officer commits the crime and does the time. According to the article, The Long Painful History of Police Brutality in The U.S., "233 African-Americans were shot and killed by police in 2016, a startling number when demographics are considered. African-Americans make up 13 percent of the U.S. population but account for 24 percent of people fatally shot by police. According to the Washington Post, blacks are '2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.'" These numbers are outrages. 

This social issue is truly important to me because as an African American women, I am constantly seeing these communities of colors having fear of police officers when all along I thought they were our heroes, they were what was supposed to keep us safe, but, I was left to believe that wasn't true. Now, I look at my generation and the generation after me, all these children and teenagers having to get the "talk", not about the birds and the bees, but what to do when a encounter a police officer. I tear up at the thought that my younger brothers may not make it home one day, because of the world we live in. I chose to write about this social issue because it is a terrifying issue that is unknown when it might go away. It personally effects me, my life and my take of the world around me. I understand that their are amazing police officers, but, their are also one who are not so great and I fear that one day I, or my brothers, my fathers, my uncle, cousins or even grandparents will be a victim.
      WHAT IS THE "TALK"?
Recently, I have noticed minority children and teenagers having to receive the "what to do with police officers" conversation, which goes a little like, "put your hands like this", "don't make any sudden movements", "don' fight back", "listen to what they tell you".
My parents have talked to me as well, as we are crying because of the reality of the broken world we live in, I have become very well aware of the fact that I have NO control, that I AM controlled and that I will NEVER ever be in a world where I am truly FREE, where I possibly have a say about what a police officer did or said to me and I can't do anything about it an I am not the only one who feels this way.










Below is a video of Black parents talking to their children about police. (Fair warning it may make you tear up).



I reached out to some member of my community, which includes family and friends as well as classmates on their feelings towards the "talk" and police brutality in our nation today.


Jordan Terry on the talk and police brutality



"I feel like police abuse their power and authority. The talk that parents have to give their kids about police brutality is not fair and it makes me cringe at the fact that we have to fear the very people who are sworn to protect and serve. Not all cops are bad, not all abuse their power they have. But, the ones who do are truly unjust and should re-evaluate the career choice they have chosen".

Myisha and Sean Smith on the talk and police brutality














"Police brutality is something that has always been here. It has been here since we were kids. Something needs to change. Our kids shouldn't been afraid of police officers. There is too much talk and not enough action on this subject."

Justin smith on the talk and police brutality














"I think police brutality is more towards African Americans than other races and you have evidence in reports like the recent one where a white male shot back at the police but was arrested and not shot and killed,like and innocent African Americans whose phone was confused for a gun and was killed"



Sources :
Blades, Lincoln Anthony. “How Michael Brown's Death Awakened A Nation to Police Brutality.” Teen Vogue, TeenVogue.com, 25 May 2017, www.teenvogue.com/story/michael-brown-death-anniversary-police-brutality-black-lives-matter.

Nodjimbadem, Katie. “The Long, Painful History of Police Brutality in the U.S.” Smithsonian.com, Smithsonian Institution, 27 July 2017, www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/long-painful-history-police-brutality-in-the-us-180964098/.

“The Talk.” Michael D'Antuono's Art And Response, artandresponse.com/paintings/talk/.

Truong, Kimberly, and Children About Police Video. “This Video Of Black Parents Talking To Their Kids About Police Will Break Your Heart.” Black Parents Talk To Children About Police Video, www.refinery29.com/2017/02/139943/black-parents-talking-about-police-video?bucketed=true.

No comments:

Post a Comment