Monday, April 18, 2022

More Than Just a Body

Body Dysmorphia

(a Societal Effect)

    Perfection is defined as a person perceived as an embodiment of perfection without flaws. 

However, if someone suffers from body dysmorphia, they will likely lack the knowledge

 that perfection is not everything. This brings us to the question of who indeed suffers from body 

dysmorphia. Body dysmorphia is a common disorder among 12 to 13-year-old girls and boys

This results from the social comparison that occurs within that age range. Social comparison 

is defined as how children compare themselves to their peers about their weight, their

 looks, or the brands they cannot afford. However, as much as society acknowledges women for

 this disorder, men obtain this from being obese or excluded by everyone else. Between 1.7% to

 2.4% of the population in Los Angeles deal with this disorder, whether it is a man or woman 

(knight, 2019). This disorder begins with the idea that women do not fit society's expectations 

of what a 'perfect' woman is. As well as men not meeting the expectations of the 'perfect' man. 

Body dysmorphia is defined as a mental health disorder in which the individual picks at every 

'flaw' their body contains. Such as being overweight, being too tall, being too short, being too 

skinny, or being too dark skin. 

   But what body truly defines perfection? The answer is EVERY BODY. The individual who suffers 

from this disorder believes they cannot control the minor 'flaw' because everyone can see what 

they see. According to Bray in the article, Gender Dysphoria, Body Dysmorphia, and the 

problematic of Body Modification, it is a notion of discomfort in one's body. Bray discusses the 

role essentialism that has led to the medical sanction of hormonal interventions or gender 

reassignment surgeries. Bray acknowledges that people try to change who they are for someone 

they want society to accept. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.


Negative Effects

    Body dysmorphia can be seen as a disorder that can be improved, however, the process takes

 time. An individual who suffers from this disorder needs to find alternative ways to cope and 

help their loved ones understand their emotions. This means that keeping loved ones in the 

circle will help them learn precautions to take when the individual's disorder becomes severe. 

According to Mayo Clinic (2019), some negative effects with having this disorder are:

    *Depression or mood disorders

    *Suicidal behavior (thoughts, self-harm, etc.)

    *Anxiety (social anxiety, social phobia, etc.)

    *Obsessive-compulsive disorder

    *Eating disorder (anorexia nervosa, binge eating, rumination disorder, etc.)

    *Health problems


Ways to Help Someone in Need

    There are different ways you can help someone who suffers from body dysmorphia (Knight, 2019):

  1. Accept the individual's feelings. When the individual talks about what they are feeling, they are 

trying to cope with the emotions that are hard for them. Do not judge what they cannot control just 

because you cannot see it, and do not try to debate about their appearances. 

  2. Listen. Help the individual understand that they can come to talk to you when they need you. Please 

give them a no-judgment zone. This will cause them to be more open about their emotions to you.

  3. Learn about treatments located around you. In familiarizing yourself with these disorders and 

treatments that help, you are doing a lot more than you think. Finding therapy groups near

 them can come in handy when the individual who suffers from this disorder needs it.

  4. Acknowledge their accomplishments. Achieving to eat more than one meal a day is a significant 

accomplishment for someone who suffers from this disorder. Any little win that we help celebrate with

 this individual can help let them know that they can overcome it with your support. 

      In the process of helping someone, it may become very challenging; however, the small amount of 

support you give to the individual will help in the long run.


Personal Issue

    I can personally connect to the issue of body dysmorphia. Since middle school, I have dealt with it due 

to constantly comparing myself to other girls my age. I still suffer from this disorder today by checking 

myself in the mirror, trying to 'morph' my body into the body I want, and constantly prohibiting myself 

from eating more than one plate a day. I dressed in oversized shirts and sweaters to cover my stomach 

during my high school years. However, it just lowered my self-esteem. I had dealt with not only weight 

but my height too. I have always been taller than my friends, and because I am tall, my weight is affected 

by my bones having a little bit more weight. I continued to tell myself, "you are not worthy, you are not 

pretty, and you are not capable of losing weight because you will forever be fat." One night, around 2 in 

the morning, I sat on the floor in front of the mirror, and I sat there looking at myself. Looking at what I 

could change, what I hated, and what I believed others saw first. Dealing with this disorder leads to the 

constant fear of gaining weight. That is why I prohibit myself from eating more than once so that I do not 

gain that weight.

    Body dysmorphia has continued to affect me in the long run. It has affected my friendships, my 

relationship with my partner and my relationship with food. Body dysmorphia has filled my head with the 

constant thoughts about my friends being skinnier, or prettier. I have so much love for my friends but I 

cannot deal with the issue of looking 'bigger' than my friends. This connects to my relationship with my 

partner too. I have constant thoughts of looking 'bigger' or not being attractive like my partner. Due to both

 of these issue, it leads to my relationship with food being nonexistent. It is a horrible disorder to 

experience and I continue everyday to meet goals of eating twice a day or telling myself that I AM 

ENOUGH.

Body Acceptance

    According to Mayo Clinic (2019), there are ways to help your process of body acceptance:

    1. Begin a journal. Having a journal where you can write your emotions will help you better cope with 

         them. As well as acknowledge the negative thoughts.

    2.  Do not isolate. It feels like isolating yourself would better help with the comparisons, however, you 

need to surround yourself with people who you love and who love you. It helps you feel their support and

 their care for you.

    3. Create goals. Creating goals will help you stay focused and motivated. It is an on going process but it

 will be worth it.

    4. Find ways to manage stress. Making decisions during your stressful times may not result in a 

positive way. Take your time, breath, and understand what decision is best for YOU.

Image by: Tyler Feder

Helpful Hotlines

    If you or someone you know suffers from body dysmorphia, here are some available hotlines:

    1. CalHOPE: It is a support group developed by California Consortium for Urban Indian Health. They

 as well have a live chat if you are not comfortable speaking.

Hotline: (833) 317-HOPE (4673)

https://www.calhope.org/pages/current-services.aspx#cs2

    2. NewVista: 24-hour hotline available to those who suffer from Body Dysmorphia:

Hotline: 1(800) 928-8000

Newvista.org. https://newvista.org/sites/default/files/one-page-handouts/Mental%20Health/Schizophrenia.pdf.

   Reference

    “Body Dysmorphic Disorder.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 29 Oct. 2019, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/body-dysmorphic-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20353938.

    Bray. (2015). Gender Dysphoria, Body Dysmorphia, and the Problematic of Body Modification. The Journal of Speculative Philosophy29(3), 424–436. https://doi.org/10.5325/jspecphil.29.3.0424

    “Current Services.” CalHOPE Current Services, https://www.calhope.org/pages/current-services.aspx#cs2

    Knight, Clare. “How to Support a Loved One with Body Dysmorphia.” News, 5 Sept. 2019, https://www.news-medical.net/health/How-to-Support-a-Loved-One-with-Body-Dysmorphia.aspx. 

    Mayo Clinic Staff. “Body Dysmorphic Disorder.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 29 Oct. 2019, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/body-dysmorphic-disorder/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353944. 

    Taqui, Ather M, et al. “Body Dysmorphic Disorder: Gender Differences and Prevalence in a Pakistani Medical Student Population.” BMC Psychiatry, BioMed Central, 9 Apr. 2008, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2329619/

    24 -Hour Helpline 1.800.928 - Newvista.org. https://newvista.org/sites/default/files/one-page-handouts/Mental%20Health/Schizophrenia.pdf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment