Monday, October 8, 2018

Angelita Moreno



Immigration 




"La Bestia"
  A social issue that’s is happening today would be Immigration, about a few weeks we had a migrant caravan coming from Honduras into Guatemala on to Mexico to get to the United States border. Up till today’s day we still thousands of people, families with children, new born babies, elderly people in wheel chairs, etc. walking day and night for a better life. According to The New York Times, “The Migrant Caravan: What to Know About the Thousands Traveling North” by Annie Correal and Megan Specia mention in their article that the people in the caravan have spent nights in churches, camps, and schools washing their clothes in rivers as well as relying on donations from locals. In this caravan we have about 7,000 people and an estimate of 2,300 children reported the United Nations refugee although the Mexican government has estimated about 3,600 participants. The numbers started decreasing due to people getting sick, injured, exhaustion, and some just realize that they couldn’t continue anymore. 

Jorge Ramos a Mexican American journalist interviewed a reporter by the name of Pedro Ultreras who did a report on “The Bestia” El tren que transporta a miles de migrantes” who traveled with thousands of immigrants on the Bestia which is a train that transports immigrants from one place to another. These trains usually depart in within three to four days. Thousands of immigrants walk the train tracks gather in groups and start filling up the top of the train which can be dangerous as soon as the train takes off there has been incidents where people fall of the train and lose their lives. Pedro interviewed a 22 year old women with Guatemala origins carrying her four month baby and asked her “where was she going?” she then responded and said, “to the united states for necessity." 


Melissa M: This issue hasn't Immediately personally affected me. All my family was born here my parents were born in Mexico but they were able to get their citizenship. I have a cousin that came to the United States and lived up North. So when I hear about this stuff it reminds me of him. His way of thinking was the further he was away from the border the safer he felt. 



Britney R: My thoughts on Immigration and those who come to the United States for a better life style are seen as criminals. Both my parents are undocumented and I'm able to see their struggle how they work hard to support the family and not getting paid enough.



Lulu Q: It hasn't affected me, but it personally hurts me to see all these people suffering and having to hear stories of people getting kidnapped for trafficking when there dream is to make it to the United States.  I don't know what type of conditions they are living in that has made them come this far and have to suffer risking their lives. I  believe that if the US occupied that country  they should help them by staying their and provide them with resources such as giving them food and clothing.





The reason why I selected this topic is because some of my family can relate to it. A few of my uncles and aunts including my parents are immigrants who crossed the border for a better living condition and opportunities in the United States. My family is from Sonora Mexico which is considered Baja California. Their journey to the united states based on stories were challenging and risky at the same time. Having to hide from the border patrol so that they wouldn’t get caught. Having to walk miles to get to where the coyote had to meet them up. Not being able to sleep for a couple of days because they were scared and they wanted to be aware of what was happening around them. After reading and hearing about the migrant caravan reminded me of the stories my family members shared when they were about to cross to the United States. Although it doesn’t affect me personally since I’m a citizen, but it does to my parents I still feel affected by the issue. I interviewed friends and co-works and asked if they were affected by this social issue and their thoughts for the most part they were not affected but they had stories of family members that were affected.








Work Cited


Correal, Annie, and Megan Specia . “The Migrant Caravan: What to Know About the         Thousands Traveling North.” 26 Oct. 2018.

Noticias, Univision. “Conoce a ‘La Bestia’, El Tren Que Transporta a Miles De Migrantes.”                  YouTube, YouTube, 27 July 2014, www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUmB2eAmnr4.







No comments:

Post a Comment