Monday, November 28, 2016

Teen Pregnancy

Research






In the process of my civic engagement project I decide that my social issue was teen pregnancy. Now going out into the community I saw a lot of teens pregnant warding around the streets. In the website Reproductive Health: Teen pregnancy states, “In 2014 a total of 249,078 babies were born to women aged 15-19 years, for a birth rate of 24.2 per 1,000 women in this age group.” This static show that young teens are being sexual active at a young age and not knowing the proper ways of protecting themselves by using birth control or a condom. As well as learning about safe sex and waiting to have sex when you’re married. Also in the website of Reproductive Health: teen pregnancy states, “Birth rates fell 11% for women aged 15-17 years and 7% for women aged 18-19 years. Although reasons for the declines are not clear, more teens maybe delaying or reducing sexual activity, and more of the teens who are sexually active maybe using birth control than in pervious years.”  Now this issues has been a big part in society which my resources show their has been a great decline in teen pregnancy which is a good thing meaning that teens can look towards a bright future of going to college and having a career. In the website National campaign to prevent teen and unplanned pregnancy states, “ It is also the case that teen pregnancy is closely linked to a host of other critical social issues poverty and income, overall child well-being, out of wedlock birth, responsible fatherhood, health issues, education, child welfare, and other risky behavior.” Basically this static explains how young teens having babies are risking a lot in their life. Also there health on having a baby in a teenage body is risky because they are not fully develop to handle a birth. In another website Medline plus trusted health information for you states, “Often teens don’t get prenatal care soon enough, which can lead to problems later on. They have higher risk for pregnancy related high blood pressure and its complications. Risk for the baby includes premature birth and a low birth weight.” Lastly the issue of teen pregnancy has many complications on young teens and the baby.

Citations
About Teen Pregnancy Reproductive Health CDC April 26,2016 http://www.cdc.gov/teenpregnancy/about

The National Campaign to prevent teen and unplanned pregnancy October 6, 2016

Medline plus trusted health information for you teenage pregnancy November 25,2016 https://medlineplus.gov/teenagepregnancy.html

Personal
            Teen pregnancy is an important social issue to me because many people in my family where teen parents. Now I can relate to my older sister who got pregnant at 17 years old. When I first found out she was pregnant I was so excited because I was going to have a nephew or niece. Also I was thinking how young I was going to be an auntie at the age of 12. However through my sister pregnancy I saw her struggling going to high school and actually becoming a teen mom was very hard work luckily she had support from her parents. But my sister being pregnant so young just means she had to grow up fast. Now I choose this issue for my civic engagement project because I saw my own sister go through her pregnancy as a teenager and the hardship and sacrifices she had to give up or change from having a baby. Also seeing my sister go through this great experience at a early age made me think I would like the opportunity to have kids one day but when I’m ready and find the right man for me. I choose this issue because it is personal to me because I actually experience my sister being pregnant, and she made me realize to learn more about safe sex and to think about my future after college.

People in the community pictures



Cynthia E. Clara

Lydia Lopez

Janinne Ortiz









No comments:

Post a Comment